Monday Scramble: Masters techies unite!
Welcome to the Monday Scramble, where we still like Padraig Harrington this week.
• • •
Over the last week, we here at the Scramble have been thoroughly impressed with the Masters’ technological advances, specifically in the iPhone application and Twitter departments.
We’re most intrigued by their Twitter account, though. (For those who don’t know, Twitter is a social networking/mini-blogging service that allows its users to send and read other users’ text-based updates – or “tweets” – limited up to 140 characters in length.)
(You can follow Golfweek’s Twitter accounts at @GolfweekMag and @collegegolf.)
The last Twitter post Sunday from Augusta said: “Fairways are roped, observation stands are up and the flowers are in bloom. The gates open for the Masters in nine hours.”
At about 9:20 Monday morning, we got: “After a cloudy morning, the sun makes it's first appearance at Augusta! Youngster Danny Lee just arrived on the driving range.”
Of course, all this only got us to wondering what other neat stuff we’ll learn this week from the increasingly cool and hip Masters and its top-secret (at least we think he is) Twitterer.
Accordingly, here’s our list of top “tweets” we want to see, but probably won’t, from @The_Masters this week:
• Welcome to the Mastaz.
• The air conditioning is broken in Butler Cabin. Will let you know when it’s back up.
• Hootie Johnson was the first to Twitter.
• Can someone please toss me a pimento cheese? Clubhouse, second floor, fourth window from the entrance, going clockwise. It’s open.
• If you are skipping church Easter Sunday to attend the Masters, make sure to sit on Amen Corner.
• There is a green jacket hidden 10 feet deep under an azalea bush on No. 8. Find it and it’s yours.
• This just in: Women are now allowed among the membership at Augusta National!
• Scratch that last post. Martha Burk hacked into our system again.
• Nice toss! Thanks for the pimento.
• A/C in Butler Cabin is fixed. Good news – because Tiger said he wouldn’t win unless we fixed it.
>> CREATE-A-CAPTION: Last week...
Real caption: We’re not even really sure (Photo by Tracy Wilcox, Golfweek)
Our caption: Stevie Williams, not often a friend of gallery members, dives to save a fan’s toupee from blowing away.
• “Here you go mate, part of history. Just don't eBay it!”
– Bobby K
• “When Divots Attack!”
– M. Loyd
• 1. “Stevie Williams trying to catch a divot without dropping Tiger's club in the water again.”
- “Stevie Williams tossing Sean O'Hair's divot to his caddie in an effort to make Sean play faster.”
– Paul D.
• “Watch me toss this divot back in.”
– Frank B.
• “Get that piece of sod back quick, I cant afford another bill from the King on those!”
– Doug F.
• “Stevie wins the Underhand Sod Tossing Contest with a throw of 18’ 9”. He’s good in horseshoes, too.”
– Jim M.
• “Stevie, practicing his lob wedge swing on the 9th green at Bay Hill, hustles to replace a deep divot!”
– Mark M.
• “Tiger and Stevie playing tailgate toss with divots at the Nike tailgate party before the last round at Bay Hill.”
– Brian L.
• “Steve Williams demonstrates position 3 from his popularly advertised DVD "Flying Disc Throwing and You.”
– Kittie K.
• “Feel the Force flow, Stevie. Between you .. me .. the divot ..”
– Dave D.
• “is about to catch the worlds longest in flight divot...........notice tiger already with the putter....”
– Silo K.
>> CREATE-A-CAPTION: This week...
Real caption: Michelle Wie gets a ruling at No. 15 after her tee shot landed near a tree during the first round of the Kraft (Photo by Tracy Wilcox/Golfweek)
Our caption: After hitting a wayward drive on No. 15, Michelle Wie punched a tree, then turned her back on an angry mob from Greenpeace.
SEND YOUR CAPTIONS – OR ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONCERNS – TO: email@example.com.