New No. 1 in Am rankings
Friday, August 7, 2009
For the second time in two weeks, there is a new No. 1 in the Golfweek/amateurgolf.com Amateur Rankings. Rickie Fowler of Murrieta, Calif., who held the top spot for six weeks earlier this year, is once again No. 1 after his runner-up finish in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Classic. Nick Taylor of Canada, who finished T-34 in the same tournament, fell to No. 2, while England’s Luke Goddard moved up to No. 3 after winning his country’s national championship over the weekend.
Two Walker Cup hopefuls made the long trip from the east coast to play in the Pacific Coast Amateur, and both improved their chances. Zack Sucher of Mobile, Ala., finished runner-up and moved to World No. 8, while Mark Anderson of Beaufort, S.C., finished tied for third and moved to World No. 14.
• Walker Cup contender Morgan Hoffmann of Saddle Brook, N.J., finished T-8 in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Classic to move to World No. 27.
• Jordan Sherratt of Australia beat Dylan Frittelli of South Africa to win the Barrett Amateur in Canada, moving Sherratt to World No. 41 and Frittelli to World No. 31.
• Jurrian van der Vaart of The Netherlands scored a seven-shot win in the Netherlands National Stroke Play to move to World No. 44.
• Chan Kim of Chandler, Ariz., held off Sucher and Anderson to win the Pacific Coast Amateur and move to World No. 74.
• David Law of Scotland beat Paul O’Hara (world No. 34) to win the Scottish Amateur Championship to move to World No. 201.
• Robert Cannon of Ireland won the South of Ireland Championship to move to World No. 509.
• Luke Thomas of Wales beat Rhys Enoch (world No. 68) to win the Welsh Amateur Championship to move to World No. 543.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.