More U.S. Am qualifying highlights
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
U.S. Amateur qualifying ended Tuesday. Here are some more highlights:
• Peter Uihlein, 2007 U.S. Amateur Public Links runner-up Cody Paladino and William Hadden tied for medalist honors at 4-under 140 and earned the three spots at Wampanoag Country Club in West Hartford, Conn. All three shot in the 60s in the second round – Paladino and Uihlein fired 68, while Hadden had a 69 – to advance.
• TCU’s Tom Hoge shot 134 at Fargo (N.D.) Country Club to win by nine shots and grab the only qualifying spot. Hoge ties Illinois’ Luke Guthrie for largest winning margin at a sectional qualifier. Guthrie shot 128 (64-64) at Arrowhead Country Club in Edelstein, Ill.
• Robbie Fillmore, last year’s U.S. Amateur medalist, shot 139 at Alpine Country Club in Highland, Utah, then advanced in a three-for-two playoff. Jeff Evans was medalist.
• Sunnehanna Amateur champ Kevin Foley shot 149 at The Ridge at Back Brook to grab the third and final qualifying spot. Foley’s 149 was the highest qualifying score this year. Chris Scialo was medalist at 145, followed by Anthony Aloi at 147.
• Michael Sorenson finished second behind Walker Cup hopeful Dan Woltman at the Kenosha (Wis.) Country Club qualifier. Sorenson, who will play for Wisconsin this year, won the Wisconsin Junior by 10 shots just five days earlier.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.