College coaches do summer shuffle
The summer started with a lot of buzz around a few higher profile vacant coaching jobs, and now that the dust has settled, we have seen very little movement among head coaches. Of the 20-plus that were open this year, only three head coaches changed addresses: Nick Clinard (UCF to Auburn), Ria Quiazon (San Francisco to Oregon) and Emilee Klein (UCF to San Diego State).
With the majority of these jobs going to assistant coaches, a lot of jobs were left to be filled. However, there was one move that may have raised a few eyebrows.
John Cleary left his position as the head men's coach at Northern Illinois to become the assistant women's coach at Texas Tech under JoJo Robertson. Is this a move we are likely to see more of in the future? With so many head coaches at mid-majors not getting the call to move up and those jobs going to assistants at bigger-name schools ... maybe.
Along those lines, Kennesaw State head coach Blake Smart left the Owls to join Ryan Hybl at Oklahoma where he will be an assistant.
Purdue replaced Robertson with Johanna Josefsson, a former college player at Southern California. Purdue also announced 2008 NCAA champion Maria Hernandez as a part-time assistant. Northern Illinois hired former Cleveland State and Akron coach Tom Porten and Kennesaw State has yet to name a replacement.
• Former Florida player Toby Ragland will join new head coach Bryce Wallor at UCF to complete the Golden Knights staff.
• SMU hired former Oklahoma assistant Emily Milberger.
• Donnie Darr named Ashland, Ohio native Chris Yoder, who was the assistant coach at Wake Forest, as his assistant at Ohio State.
• Wake Forest replaced Yoder with former Rollins College standout Dan Walters.
• UNLV has named Daron Dorsey assistant men's coach.
• Evan Osteen joined Nick Clinard in the move from UCF to Auburn and is the new Tiger assistant.
• Jim Anderson, who has spent the last two season at New Mexico as the assistant coach, will join the staff at Texas A&M.
• Emily Bastel replaces Jan Dowling as the assistant coach at Duke.
• Georgia has named Margaret Shirley its new assistant coach.
• Former UCLA player Saki Uechi has been named the new assistant at Pepperdine