Monday Scramble: Costume party
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Welcome to the Monday Scramble, still cleaning up after our 3rd Annual Golf-Themed Halloween Party – where, as you can see, creativity has gone to die:
Seriously, not one Walrus, Great White Shark or even a Jim Nance.
Not even a green jacket.
And every year they wonder why Natalie Gulbis never shows up.
• • •
Not surprisingly, we invited a bunch of golf industry peeps to the shindig, but they decided to trick-or-treat elsewhere. We got the inside scoop on some of their costumes anyway:
• Gary Player: A treadmill
• Justin Timberlake: Tom Watson
• Michael Jordan: Smokey the Bear
• New LPGA commish Michael Whan: Optimus Prime (from “Transformers.)
• Old LPGA commish Carolyn Bivens: Michael Whan
• Rory McIlory: American teen/PGA Tour member
• Stewart Cink: Twitter
• Donald Trump: Diamond-encrusted, gold-plated divot repair tool
• Leonardo DiCaprio: Rickie Fowler
• Tim Finchem: Rickie Fowler
• And of course, Christina Kim, as told via Twitter: “I popped on a pair of pink kitty ears bc I left my goddess dress n gladiator shoes at home by accident. Yup. Happy Halloween indeed.”
(Did you have a good golf costume, or at least a real one? E-mail your pictures to [email protected].)
• • •
Not that you noticed, but the Viking Classic was completely washed out this weekend, which is about as much fun as trying to spell “Mississippi” in the first grade. (Or watching your old Super Bowl MVP beat you at home wearing your arch-rival’s uniform.)
Of course, that didn’t stop our Scramble photographers from snapping a couple shots the PGA Tour tried to keep on the down low, both rather befitting of a Viking Classic...
• • •
And finally, we know we should have been more excited about Anthony Kim and Robert Allenby getting their rematch this past weekend at the World Match Play Championship, but for some reason it just didn’t seem to have enough oomph.
Probably has something to do with AK’s 5-and-4 and 5-and-3 victories. All of a sudden it’s like trying to get excited about the next Celtics-Bobcats game.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.