Monday Scramble: When golf meets ‘Avatar’
Welcome to the Monday Scramble, still buzzing after finally seeing that much-talked about – and as of last night, Golden Globe-winning – blockbuster “Avatar” this weekend.
Accordingly, some thoughts – some more serious than others:
• Despite our contrarian nature, we have to admit it’s easily the best thing we’ve seen since “The Tiger Woods Voicemail Remix” YouTube video, and can’t wait for Part II of the trilogy.
• We swear we saw one of those lanky blue Na’vi creatures from the planet Pandora swimming around in the water at Doral at last year’s CA Championship...
• We also swear that those bright-pink Masters azaleas are everywhere in this movie.
• Of course, we were very happy to see that even in 4078 – or whatever year “Avatar” is supposed to take place – golf is still around.
For those of you that haven’t seen the movie, yes, we are being serious when we say that a golf ball, a putter (specifically, a Louisville Golf wood mallet putter, which director James Cameron’s team ordered about five years go), a practice putting mat and a putting stroke (or two!) appear in this 3D sci-fi epic along with such fantastical animals as Hammerhead Titanotheres, Thanators and Viperwolves.
Seriously, even one of the movie’s action figures, character Parker Selfridge, is holding a putter (even though it looks like a driver). Grow the game, Hollywood!
Considering about 100 people in this country have yet to see the movie, we won’t disclose the humorous quote that goes along with this scene, which made us laugh aloud and immediately disclosed our golfiness to the entire theatre.
(As a quick aside, the funniest random golf quote we’ve heard in a long time came from Bill Murray during his cameo in last year’s movie “Zombieland,” but make sure you’re at least 17 years old before you rent that one.)
• We can’t believe this isn’t a joke, but Sony showcased samples of a 3D golf broadcast this week at the Sony Open, and PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem has made it a goal to transmit live 3D broadcasts as early as 2011.
While that is the best golf news we have probably ever heard, we send two warnings:
First, to you: Be sure to remove any sharp and dangerous objects within a 50-foot radius of your couch, because Phil Mickelson’s children will soon be running right into your living room.
And second, to Augusta National: If the PGA Tour unveils 3D broadcasts before Augusta National appears in a major console video game – we will be very, very sad.
• Coincidentally, a game called “Avatar Golf,” which has nothing to do with the movie, is currently the No. 1 downloaded independent title on the XBOX Live Marketplace.
• And finally, we’ve just heard that the “Avatar” trilogy will be followed by a fourth movie called “Avatar: Fore.”
Parker Selfridge, Mr. Putts himself, fights the Na’vi in order to secure enough land and floating mountains to build the first golf course on Pandora with the help of a golfer named “Lefty.”
Here’s a look at the first movie poster:
Be sure to catch it when it comes out in 2130.