Staff picks: Curtis Cup
- Winner: U.S., 14-6. This will be another lopsided victory for a stacked U.S. team. They are a fearless bunch, with loads of match play experience. Alexis Thompson and Jennifer Song are already good enough to contend on the LPGA. Can’t say the same about any members of the visiting team.
- Woman of the Match: Jennifer Song, U.S. She’s a match play machine. Song can’t wait to represent the U.S., and she’ll make her last appearance as an amateur a memorable one.
36th CURTIS CUP
When: June 11-13
Where: Essex County Club, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass.
2008 champions: United States (13-7 at the Old Course, St. Andrews, Scotland)
Series: U.S. leads, 26-6-3
Television: Golf Channel, Friday-Saturday (11 a.m.-1 p.m.), Sunday (2-4 p.m.)
• • •
- Winner: U.S., 15-5. The U.S. will win because of its match play experience. Jennifer Song, Kimberly Kim and Alexis Thompson have won USGA match play championships. Cydney Clanton, Tiffany Lua and Stephanie Kono have great resumes, too. Not only is this team dominant on paper, but its match play record is strong.
- Woman of the Match: Stephanie Kono, U.S. The UCLA star has perhaps the best short game on the team. Match play isn’t about length off the tee. I like Kono rolling them in and being ale to score using her touch around the greens.
• • •
- Winner: U.S., 13 1/2 - 6 1/2. Too strong, top to bottom, and too much explosiveness.
- Woman of the Match: Jennifer Song. Last time she was in Massachusetts she dominated the U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links.