Welcome to the ‘Bubble Buster Invite’
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
BOULDER CITY, Nev. – There is a reason the annual get together in early March at Boulder Creek Golf Club is known as the “Bubble Buster Invite.” Simply look at what’s a stake entering the final round. (Note: The Magic Number predicted is 61)
• Ranked 53rd by Golfweek and 55th by Golfstat, Baylor is currently in second place. The Bears can just about lock up its at-large bid with a runner-up finish.
• Nebraska, currently tied for fifth place, can really help its cause. The Cornhuskers, 68th by Golfstat and 67th by Golfweek, are coming off a poor showing at the UCF Challenge and might be able to get a lot of that back if they can make a run up the leaderboard. A good finish can get Nebraska back in the hunt for a postseason bid. A poor showing could seal the deal for an early summer.
Elevator: Big winners and bad weather
• Wisconsin, ranked 52nd by Golfstat and 51st by Golfweek, simply needs to hold steady in ninth place. Sitting in the middle of the pack, any movement in the wrong direction could make things a little uncomfortable in the coming weeks. A good final round would give the Badgers a bit of a cushion.
• Missouri is a team where the two polls are not agreement. The Tigers are ranked No. 78 by Golfstat, but No. 66 by Golfweek. The Tigers were third after the opening round, but fell to 11th after two days. They need a strong performance in the final round if they have any hopes at all of playing in May.
• Ranked 50th by Golfstat and 47th by Golfweek, Campbell might take a bit of a slide backwards if they don’t pick things up. The Camels sit in a tie for 12th after two days. Similar to Wisconsin, a good finish could lock things up for Campbell.
While UNLV has distanced itself from the field and the trophy appears to be staying at home with the Rebels, there are still a lot of reasons for these teams to bring their best in the final round.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.