Diary: Life on the LPGA Futures Tour
Monday, March 7, 2011
If you've clicked on the link, you obviously are wondering who I am ...
Nicole Noelle Smith
Nicole Noelle Smith is an up-and-coming player on the LPGA Futures Tour. Nicole will be bringing you her story in 2011 through her own, exclusive blog on Golfweek.com
My name is Nicole Noelle Smith, and I am a blond-haired, green-eyed Southern California girl who is trying to make it on the LPGA's Futures Tour.
I was born and raised in Riverside, Calif., with my parents, Marc and Michelle, and my younger brother, Justin. My best friend, Sommer, is the reason why I am still a golfer today.
I spend so much time talking up my family because they are my biggest support system, even though they worry about me traveling around the country! (Especially when I was 18 and moved to play golf at the University of Tennessee. Go Volunteers!)
I have full status on the Futures Tour for 2011, which will be my second year on the tour. Travels will take me around the United States, Mexico and Canada this season.
This Golfweek-exclusive blog will act as my true life. Every Monday, I will fill you in on the past week, through videos, photos and blogs. I want to show you what it is really like living the life of a professional golfer, showing you what it takes to make it, the fun times, the struggles, the sites and, of course, the game!
If you have questions for me, fire off a question in the Facebook interface below. Or, request to follow me on Twitter and ask me questions there. I will answer as many as I can each week.
OK, enough of the logistics and formalities. Here are some fun facts about me:
• I am a certified scuba diver. My first official open-water dive was a shark dive with gray Caribbean Reef sharks.
• My grandma put me in rodeos when was younger.... I did calf riding once, got thrown off, passed out and didn't do that again.
• I was a cheerleader in eighth grade. Didn’t get into the "rah-rah," but I could lift and throw my 80-pound flyer in the air by myself.
• I did a commercial when I was 10 for Callaway Golf, where I portrayed Annika Sorenstam as a child, met her and Mr. Ely Callaway.
• I have always ordered the same thing from Cold Stone since high school: Vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and Reese’s peanut-butter cups.
• French fries are my comfort food. The only debate is, curly or regular?
• I am absolutely crazy for Girl Scouts thin mint cookies!
• I started golf when I was 7 to hang out with my best friend. Who would have thought it was the greatest gift?
• I am left-handed ... play golf right ... and I am still confused on which hand for bowling.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.