Duke tops Illinois, wins Callaway Match Play
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
BALL GROUND, Ga. – Duke won its fourth consecutive match Tuesday, defeating Illinois, 4-1, to claim the Callaway Match Play Championship at Hawks Ridge Golf Club.
The Blue Devils, the No. 10 seed in the tournament, defeated No. 7 Texas in the opening round, No. 15 East Tennessee State in the second round, No. 11 USC in the semifinals and then the No. 4 Illini in the finals.
“Obviously you’ve got to go hats off to the teams that we were playing,” said Duke head coach Jamie Green. “They’re very good. There are no easy wins out here. At the same time, I think that says a lot about our guys because they did play hard, they played well, great practice rounds, terrific notes and they were ready for anything.
“If you can do that for 54 holes and get into the top eight and play some match play (at the NCAA Championships), I like our chances. We’ve built some confidence, and now the guys know what they can do.”
Austin Cody provided the first point for the Blue Devils, posting a 5-and-4 victory over Mason Jacobs. Chris DeForest responded by downing Tim Gornik, 3 and 2, to pull Illinois even in the team standings. Julian Suri claimed a 3-and-1 victory over Thomas Pieters to put Duke back in the lead, and Brinson Paolini clinched the title with a 2-and-1 triumph over Luke Guthrie. Wes Roach closed out the scoring for the Blue Devils with a 1-up victory over reigning NCAA champ Scott Langley.
Duke posted a Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship-record 16-3-1 mark in its individual matches. Brinson Paolini and Julian Suri both went 4-0, while Austin Cody was undefeated at 3-0-1.
• • •
Results from the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship, played March 20-22:
(10) Duke def. (4) Illinois, 4-1
Brinson Paolini, Duke def. Luke Guthrie, Illinois, 2 and 1
Wes Roach, Duke def. Scott Langley, Illinois, 1-up
Chris DeForest, Illinois def. Tim Gornik, Duke, 3 and 2
Julian Suri, Duke def. Thomas Pieters, Illinois, 3 and 1
Austin Cody, Duke def. Mason Jacobs, Illinois, 5 and 4
(4) Illinois def. (9) Texas Tech, 2-2-1
(10) Duke def. (11) Southern Califronia, 3-1-1
(9) Texas Tech def. (1) UCLA, 3-1-1
(4) Illinois def. (5) Texas A&M, 3-2
(11) Southern California def. (3) Georgia Tech, 3-2
(10) Duke def. (15) East Tennessee State, 4-1
(1) UCLA def. (16) South Carolina, 5-0
(9) Texas Tech def. (8) Georgia, 3-2
(4) Illinois def. (13) Baylor, 5-0
(5) Texas A&M def. (12) Pacific, 3-1-1
(3) Georgia Tech def. (14) Washington State, 2-2-1
(11) Southern California def. (6) Iowa, 4-1
(10) Duke def. (7) Texas, 5-0
(15) East Tennessee State def. (2) Alabama, 3-2