How it happened: Kuchar beats Day at WGC
Sunday, February 24, 2013
After getting down very early, Matt Kuchar stormed back and handed Jason Day a 4-and-3 loss in the semifinals of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship.
Kuchar will face Hunter Mahan in the finale.
Here's how the semifinal match unfolded:
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 15
• Off the tee: A drivable par-4 at 312 yards, Kuchar goes left and into the rough, while Day comes up about 10 yards short of the green, right on line with the flag.
• Around the green: Kuchar hits a great chip to about 5 feet behind the hole, while Day's chip doesn't get to the slope and he has about 20 feet for birdie.
• On the green: Day's putt doesn't have enough mustard to get there and he picks up a par. Kuchar doesn't miss his however and he wins the match in convincing fashion.
Match complete: Kuchar, 4 and 3
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 14
• Off the tee: A pair of nice drives here. Day has a lot of work to do and very little time to get it done.
• Approach shots: Kuchar plays it safe, giving himself about 18 feet from under the hole for birdie. Day is also safe on the green, but about 25 feet out.
• On the green: Day's birdie attempt literally looks like it went right over the hole. He settles for par. Kuchar also misses and they settle for a halve.
Thru 14: Kuchar, 3 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 13
• Off the tee: Day finds the left rough with his tee ball at the par-5, meaning he'll have to lay up. Kuchar puts his on the left side of the fairway.
• Second shots: Day hits long iron and finds a bunker in the fairway, while Kuchar goes left of the green and into a bunker.
• Third shot: Day smashes his bunker shot over the green and past the skyboxes.
• Around the green: Hitting his fourth shot, Day can barely get it to the green from a rough area well behind the green. Kuchar, hitting his third, leaves himself 20 feet after a so-so sand shot. He really didn't need to take a chance with it because of Day's struggles.
• On the green: Day's par putt from 35 feet comes up 4 feet short. Kuchar puts his birdie attempt close and the hole is conceded.
Thru 13: Kuchar, 3 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 12
• Off the tee: Day comes up short of the green and finds a bunker right, while Kuchar is also short and will have a tough chip over that bunker at the par-3.
• Around the green: Kuchar's chip comes to rest about 15 feet past the hole, while Day's bunker shot is a good one and he'll have 8 feet to save par. Kuchar misses, but so does Day. Day cannot buy a putt today.
Thru 12: Kuchar, 2 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 11
• Off the tee: Day takes his up the right, Kuchar up the left. Pair of fairways hit.
• Second shots: Day takes driver off the turf and finds the fairway in front of the green. Kuchar uses fairway metal and is about 10 yards ahead of Day on the right side of the fairway.
• Third shots: Day goes first, hits in front of the flag, but it runs off the back of the green. He should be able to putt. Kuchar plays the better shot, hitting about 20 feet right of the flag and spinning it sideways to about 6 feet.
• On the green: Both players miss their birdie putts and halve the hole.
Thru 11: Kuchar, 2 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 10
• Off the tee: Kuchar finds trouble on the left, overcooking his ball into the desert. He'll have to take a drop, but still in the desert. Day is also left, but in play.
• Approach shots: Kuchar, now hitting his third shot, has to simply lay up out of the desert and finds the left side of the fairway. His fourth shot comes up short of the green. Day hits his second shot right of the green and into the gallery. He visibly frustrated after that one.
• Around the green: Kuchar can't get his chip to fall, picking up a double-bogey.
• On the green: A conceded par putt gives Day his first hole win since No. 2.
Thru 10: Kuchar, 2 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 9
• Off the tee: Jason Day rips a driver that splits the middle, only to find a bunker that is in the middle.
• Approach shots: Kuchar sends his second ball about 20 feet past, while Day leaves his about 15 feet under the hole, but it was his third shot.
• On the green: Day two-putts for a bogey, while Kuchar two-putts for a par to take the hole.
Thru 9: Kuchar, 3 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 8
• Off the tee: Both Kuchar and Day split the middle, with the long-hitting Day a bit farther down the fairway.
• Second shots: Both players try to get after the green in two, with Kuchar putting his second shot in the rough to the left of the green, while Day goes all the way through the green and into the rough at the back.
• Around the green: Day's third shot runs off the front of the green, while Kuchar plays a nice shot to about 2 feet left of the hole, forcing Day to chip in. Day gives it a nice run, but it won't fall and Kuchar extends his lead.
Thru 8: Kuchar, 2 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 7
• Off the tee: Jason Day looks out of rhythm early, pushing this tee ball well to the right and into the trees at the par-4. Kuchar finds the middle of the fairway.
• Approach shot: Day actually has an opening in the trees and plays a low-lining shot that is about 40 yards short of the green. Kuchar plays his second shot to the back of the green and will have a long putt coming back to the hole.
• Third shot: Day lofts his third shot to about 8 feet past the hole.
• On the green: Kuchar's long birdie attempt comes up about 5 feet short, leaving the door open for Day to recover on this hole. But he doesn't, pulling his par putt to the left and picking up his second bogey of the day. But Kuchar helps him out by also pulling his par putt, settling for a three-putt bogey.
Thru 7: Kuchar, 1 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 6
• Off the tee: Playing the short par-3 (139 yards), Kuchar plays a nice tee ball that lands about 20 feet beyond the hole and spins back to 12 feet. Day also hits a nice shot, landing in front of the pin and it spins back to about 18 feet.
• On the green: Day's birdie attempt is not hit hard enough and comes up about 6 inches short. Kuchar does make his and he takes his first lead of the day.
Thru 6: Kuchar, 1 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 5
• Off the tee: Another fairway hit for Kuchar, taking it right up the gut at the long par-4. Day pushes his tee ball slightly, finding the first cut on the right side.
• Approach shot: Day has to use fairway metal with his second shot and he pushes it a bit to the right, finding a greenside bunker. Kuchar also uses fairway metal, finding the front of the green, but the pin is in the back.
• Around the green: Day nearly holes out his bunker shot, settling about 4 feet past the hole.
• On the green: Kuchar's long birdie putt comes up about 2 feet short, with the par putt being conceded. Day makes his 4-footer to halve the hole.
Thru 5: All square
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 4
• Off the tee: Kuchar finds the right side of the fairway at the par-4, while Day is in the middle.
• Approach shots: Kuchar comes up about 3 feet short of the green, while Day is also short and it runs back down a ridge.
• Around the green: Day's chip shot runs past the hole and leaves himself about 6 feet to save par. Kuchar's chip settles about a foot beyond the hole.
• On the green: Day doesn't hit his par putt quite firm enough and loses his first hole of the day.
Thru 4: All square
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 3
• Off the tee: Solid tee ball from Day, who finds the front left of the green, about 25 feet to the pin on the right. Kuchar finds the same area of the green, about 2 or 3 feet further from the hole.
• On the green: Kuchar's attempt comes up 3 feet short, while Day thought his was in, but it fades right just at the end and settles on the lip. A halve with pars.
Thru 3: Day, 1 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 2
• Off the tee: Day overcooks his tee ball to the left and finds long rough, while Kuchar hits another fairway, sliding it up the right side at the par-5 2nd.
• Second shot: Kuchar takes a run at the green and the ball tries to hold the right side, but falls down in a greenside bunker. Day also tries to get after it, but comes up short right and in the rough.
• Around the green: A solid third shot for Day, who was facing a tough angle, leaving it about 15 feet beyond the hole. Kuchar's third shot doesn't get out of the bunker, hitting the lip and coming back. His fourth clears, but settles about 12 feet beyond the hole.
• On the green: Day's birdie putt squirts left at the end and he settles for a two-putt par, while Kuchar can't get his 12-footer to save par to drop.
Thru 2: Day, 1 up
• • •
Jason Day vs. Matt Kuchar: Hole No. 1
It's a brisk morning at Dove Mountain, with both Day and Kuchar wearing sock hats and multiple layers.
• Off the tee: Day takes it up the left side of the fairway, while Kuchar hits the middle and it bounces left, about 20 yards in front of Day. Fairway hit for both.
• Approach shot: Day doesn't like his shot immediately, and it finds a greenside bunker on the left. The pin is on the far right. Kuchar finds the green, about 25 feet under the hole.
• Around the green: Day hits a great bunker shot to about 3 feet under the hole.
• On the green: Kuchar gives his birdie putt a good run, but it doesn't fall. Both par putts are conceded for an opening halve.
Thru 1: All square
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.