British Open tee times: Third round
Friday, July 19, 2013
While Friday provided what turned into a bloodbath, it still gave us plenty of intriguing Saturday pairings at the Open Championship at Muirfield.
Here is a look at the complete tee times/pairings, as well as which ones to watch for:
• Miguel Angel Jimenez-Henrik Stenson, 10:20 a.m. EDT: Something they have in common . . . their best major finish is T-3. Stenson has done it twice, both at the Open Championship (2008, 2010), while Jimenez did it in 2001. Jimenez has played the Open 11 times and missed the cut only twice, the last being in 2008.
• Lee Westwood-Tiger Woods, 10:10 a.m. EDT: This will be the afternoon's marquee pairing, with the Englishman Westwood chasing his first major victory and Woods looking for his 15th -- but first since 2008. Westwood and Woods now share a coach in Sean Foley after it was revealed this week that Westwood had joined Foley's impressive stable (includes Justin Rose and Hunter Mahan).
• Bubba Watson-Ian Poulter, 8:55 a.m. EDT: It's too bad these guys can't live Tweet their rounds, have a little back-and-forth. Watson won the 2011 Masters and is creative enough to figure out a way to manage Muirfield, while Poulter is known as the Ryder Cup hero that is still looking for his first major title. Neither player has won on any tour in 2013.
• Jason Day-Hunter Mahan, 8:35 a.m. EDT: Is this the U.S. Open all over again? Both players had their opportunities coming down the stretch at Merion, but faltered on a difficult back nine. Sound familiar?
• Tom Lehman-Mark O'Meara, 8:15 a.m. EDT: Both had forgettable Fridays, but with their old age, maybe they've already forgotten. Good to see a pair of 50somethings hanging around for the weekend.
• Keegan Bradley-Fred Couples, 4:55 a.m. EDT: You think Bradley might talk a little Presidents Cup here with the U.S. captain?? After Bradley's performance at the Ryder Cup, he should be a no-brainer, but you never know . . .
• • •
Complete tee times and pairings for Saturday's third round of the 2013 Open Championship at Muirfield (all times EDT; a – amateur):
3:10 a.m.: Shingo Katayama, Richard Sterne
3:20 a.m.: Carl Pettersson, Jonas Blixt
3:30 a.m.: K.J. Choi, Chris Wood
3:40 a.m.: Mikko Ilonen, Todd Hamilton
3:50 a.m.: Peter Senior, Mark Brown
4:00 a.m.: Geoff Ogilvy, Paul Lawrie
4:10 a.m.: Richie Ramsay, Thongchai Jaidee
4:20 a.m.: Boo Weekley, Gareth Wright
4:30 a.m.: K.T. Kim, a-Jimmy Mullen
4:45 a.m.: Josh Teater, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano
4:55 a.m.: Keegan Bradley, Fred Couples
5:05 a.m.: Jason Dufner, Bud Cauley
5:15 a.m.: Bo Van Pelt, a-Matthew Fitzpatrick
5:25 a.m.: Russell Henley, Tim Clark
5:35 a.m.: Ernie Els, Graham DeLaet
5:45 a.m.: Shane Lowry, Oliver Fisher
5:55 a.m.: Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington
6:05 a.m.: Sandy Lyle, Y.E. Yang
6:20 a.m.: Steven Tiley, Ken Duke
6:30 a.m.: George Coetzee, Thomas Bjorn
6:40 a.m.: Brandt Snedeker, Stewart Cink
6:50 a.m.: Matt Kuchar, Freddie Jacobson
7:00 a.m.: Marcus Fraser, Danny Willett
7:10 a.m.: Martin Kaymer, Eduardo De La Riva
7:20 a.m.: Gregory Bourdy, Graeme McDowell
7:30 a.m.: Stephen Gallacher, Kevin Streelman
7:45 a.m.: Ben Curtis, Bernd Wiesberger
7:55 a.m.: Shiv Kapur, Jamie Donaldson
8:05 a.m.: Branden Grace, Harris English
8:15 a.m.: Tom Lehman, Mark O’Meara
8:25 a.m.: Johnson Wagner, Hideki Matsuyama
8:35 a.m.: Jason Day, Hunter Mahan
8:45 a.m.: Justin Leonard, Phil Mickelson
8:55 a.m.: Ian Poulter, Bubba Watson
9:10 a.m.: Francesco Molinari, Webb Simpson
9:20 a.m.: Adam Scott, Charl Schwartzel
9:30 a.m.: Darren Clarke, Jordan Spieth
9:40 a.m.: Ryan Moore, Angel Cabrera
9:50 a.m.: Zach Johnson, Rafael Cabrera-Bello
10:00 a.m.: Martin Laird, Dustin Johnson
10:10 a.m.: Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood
10:20 a.m.: Henrik Stenson, Miguel Angel Jimenez