Led by Jimenez, veterans hold their own at Muirfield
At 49, Miguel Angel Jimenez looks the part of the seasoned veteran at Muirfield. In honor of Jimenez leading the British Open at the 36-hole mark, here’s a look at a few other notable veterans during the first two rounds:
• Mark O’Meara, 56, and Tom Lehman, 54: Tied for 24th, easily inside the cut at 3 over. O’Meara started with 67 and fell to 78 Friday, while Lehman did practically the same: 68-77.
• Sandy Lyle, 55: Deserves kudos for posting a back-nine 33 on a day when Muirfield was eating most players alive. At 6-over 148, Lyle is tied for 49th.
• Fred Couples, 53: Finished right above the 8-over cut line. He posted a second-round 74 to get to 7 over, T-58.
• Tom Watson, 63: Won’t make the cut this year. Watson tied for 109th at 11 over.
• Nick Faldo, newly 56: Won’t be around for the weekend either. At 15 over, he’s tied for 140th.