To PGA victor McIlroy belong spoils
Sunday, August 10, 2014
OK, so if you figure that Rory McIlroy already has a replica of the PGA Championship's Wanamaker Trophy (he won one in 2012, at Kiawah Island), then he really didn't "gain" a whole lot Sunday at Valhalla – outside of that tidy little check for $1.8 million, which will spend nicely.
Consider what McIlroy receives for his PGA Championship victory:
- 600 FedExCup points; $1.8 million; replica of Wanamaker Trophy
- A lifetime exemption into the PGA Championship (already exempt)
- Five-year exemption on the PGA Tour (already exempt)
- Five-year exemption into Masters, U.S. Open, Open Championship, Players Championship (already exempt)
- Berth in the 2014 PGA Grand Slam of Golf (already exempt)
We're just kidding, of course. Nice playing, Rory. Enjoy the victory. It's been quite a run.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.