Women's Midweek Report: Arizona gets 1st victory
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- 1. Arizona: The Wildcats captured their first team title of the season on March 16 at the SunTrust Gator Women's Invite, rallying with a final-round, 5-over 285 to finish one-shot better than runner-up Kent State.
- 2. Vanderbilt: The Commodores carded a final-round 7-over 295 to win the 3M Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate on March 15 and clinch the team's second victory of the season. Vandy, which won earlier this spring at the Central District Invitational, finished at 32-over 896 at Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Ga.
- 3. Louisville: The Cardinals placed four individuals in the top 25 en route to winning the Clover Cup on March 16 at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz. Louisville finished at 24-over 888, one shot better than runner-up Notre Dame, to notch its third victory of the season and first of the spring.
- 4. Minnesota: The Golden Gophers won the BYU at Entrada Classic on March 18 in St. George, Utah, carding a 13-over 301 in the final round. Minnesota finished at 67-over 931, eight shots better than runner-up BYU.
- 5. Fresno State: The Bulldogs won a tiebreaker over Boise State to capture the Fresno State Classic on March 18 in Fresno, Calif. Fresno State and Boise State each finished at 39-over 903, but after both teams added in its fifth player's score, Fresno State came away with the advantage.
- 1. Daniela Darquea, Miami: Darquea won her second straight tournament March 16 at the SunTrust Gator Women's Invite. She carded a final-round 3-under 67, birdieing six of her first seven holes, to finish at 4-over 214 and turn a seven-shot deficit after two rounds into a one-shot victory.
- 2. Kristina Nhim, Notre Dame: Nhim took medalist honors at the Clover Cup on March 16, finishing the tournament at 3 under par. Nhim's first-round 68 was the lowest score of the tournament. In the final round, she recorded birdies on three of her last four holes.
- 3. Lacey Fears, Mercer: Fears shot 1-over 217 to win the 3M Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate on March 15. She finished four shots better than her closest competitor, Illinois' Samantha Postillion.
- 4. Clariss Guce, Cal State-Northridge: While her team finished third at the Fresno State Classic, Guce won medalist honors at 2-over 218. She finished a shot clear of second-place Madchen Ly of Fresno State.
- 5. Fanny Cnops, Central Florida: No, Cnops didn't compete this week, but she did receive word that she'll play the Symetra Tour's IOA Golf Classic on a sponsor exemption. The tournament will be played March 28-30 at Alaqua Country Club in Longwood, Fla.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. USC: DNP
- 2. UCLA: DNP
- 3. Duke: DNP
- 4. Stanford: DNP
- 5. Arkansas: DNP
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. Annie Park, USC: DNP
- 2. Yu Liu, Duke: DNP
- 3. Alison Lee, UCLA: DNP
- 4. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP
- 5. Kyung Kim, USC: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.