The summer started with a lot of buzz around a few higher profile vacant coaching jobs, and now that the dust has settled, we have seen very little movement among head coaches. Of the 20-plus that were open this year, only three head coaches changed addresses: Nick Clinard (UCF to Auburn), Ria Quiazon (San Francisco to Oregon) and Emilee Klein (UCF to San Diego State).
With the majority of these jobs going to assistant coaches, a lot of jobs were left to be filled. However, there was one move that may have raised a few eyebrows.
John Cleary left his position as the head men’s coach at Northern Illinois to become the assistant women’s coach at Texas Tech under JoJo Robertson. Is this a move we are likely to see more of in the future? With so many head coaches at mid-majors not getting the call to move up and those jobs going to assistants at bigger-name schools … maybe.
Along those lines, Kennesaw State head coach Blake Smart left the Owls to join Ryan Hybl at Oklahoma where he will be an assistant.
Purdue replaced Robertson with Johanna Josefsson, a former college player at Southern California. Purdue also announced 2008 NCAA champion Maria Hernandez as a part-time assistant. Northern Illinois hired former Cleveland State and Akron coach Tom Porten and Kennesaw State has yet to name a replacement.
• Former Florida player Toby Ragland will join new head coach Bryce Wallor at UCF to complete the Golden Knights staff.
• SMU hired former Oklahoma assistant Emily Milberger.
• Donnie Darr named Ashland, Ohio native Chris Yoder, who was the assistant coach at Wake Forest, as his assistant at Ohio State.
• Wake Forest replaced Yoder with former Rollins College standout Dan Walters.
• UNLV has named Daron Dorsey assistant men’s coach.
• Evan Osteen joined Nick Clinard in the move from UCF to Auburn and is the new Tiger assistant.
• Jim Anderson, who has spent the last two season at New Mexico as the assistant coach, will join the staff at Texas A&M.
• Emily Bastel replaces Jan Dowling as the assistant coach at Duke.
• Georgia has named Margaret Shirley its new assistant coach.
• Former UCLA player Saki Uechi has been named the new assistant at Pepperdine