NEWPORT, Wales – Betting on sports is woven into the fabric of the British people. You can bet on everything and anything at the local bookmaker.
This week, the focus of the bookmakers is the Ryder Cup. It and the Open Championship are the biggest events for golf in the United Kingdom.
The bookies universally have installed the Europeans as favorite at 4/6 over a USA team that is the underdog at 13/8.
As part of the Ryder Cup coverage, the bookies also have put rookies Rory McIlroy and Martin Kaymer as co-favorites to win the most points at 5/1. On the U.S. side, Tiger Woods is the favorite to score the most points, at 4/1, with Jim Furyk next, at 9/2.
There are also some odd and wacky bets that you can put money on this week. They include:
- Jeff Overton to score 5 points (50/1)
- Woods and Phil Mickelson to play together (6/1)
- Peter Hanson to hit a spectator with a drive (16/1)
- Colin Montgomerie to quit as captain before the last shot of the event is struck (25/1)
- Woods to play all five matches (8/11) and play less (1/1)
- Monty to jump in lake at the 18th after Europe win (5/1)
- No winning putt in Ryder Cup (10/1)
- Lee Westwood to make the winning putt (12/1)
- First shot of Ryder Cup – fairway (4/5), left rough (11/2), right rough (5/2), bunker 11/2 and hazard or out of bounds (25/1)