The long, strenuous task that is Q-School begins today with the pre-qualifying stage. Seven 54-hole qualifiers will be held over the next two weeks for players trying to earn their way into Q-School’s first stage. Most participants at pre-qualifying are recent college graduates or mini-tour lifers. Most players with experience on a major international tour are exempt into at least the first stage (note: number of advancing spots to be determined during qualifying).
• • •
Cypresswood Golf Club (Tradition), Spring, Texas
• Phillip Choi, a second-team Golfweek All-American last season as a sophomore at Florida
• J.T. Griffin, a second-team All-American this past season at Georgia Tech
• David Lipsky, an honorable mention All-American last season while competing for Northwestern
• Scott Marino, the younger brother of PGA Tour player Steve Marino
• • •
Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club (South), Dade City, Fla.
• Connor Arendell, who advanced to the Round of 16 at the 2009 and 2010 U.S. Amateurs
• Josh Brock, last year’s Colonial Athletic Association individual champion for UNC-Wilmington. He also qualified for the 2009 U.S. Open
• Sihwan Kim, the 2004 U.S. Junior champion and former first-team All-American at Stanford. Kim finished sixth at the 2008 Nationwide Children’s Hospital Invitational
• Toby Ragland, who played collegiately at Florida and served as assistant coach at Central Florida
• • •
PGA West (Greg Norman), La Quinta, Calif.
• Nick Delio, the 2010 NCAA Southwest Regional champion and former Big West player of the year at Cal State-Northridge.
• Geoff Gonzalez, the 2009 California Amateur champion who qualified for the 2011 NCAA Championship as an individual. Delio and Gonzalez shared medalist honors at the ’09 California Amateur.
• Vince India, a third-team All-American this past season at Iowa. India’s Iowa teammate, Brad Hopfinger, also is in the field.
• Harry Rudolph, a childhood rival of Phil Mickelson who became a reinstated amateur and made match play at the 2010 U.S. Amateur. He is giving pro golf a second try.
• • •
Moore’s Mill Club, Auburn, Ala.
• David Holmes, a former All-American at Tennessee
• Mitchell Krymulycz, a member of Augusta State’s 2010 and 2011 NCAA Championship teams and winner of the 2008 Southeastern Amateur
• Chris Morris, the 2011 NCAA Division III champion at Centre and Division III player of the year