A sunny Saturday got the U.S. Open back on track, the final round set to be the first unencumbered by delays or by teeing off both nines.
But will that plan hold up?
Play began Sunday under fine conditions when Robert Karlsson teed off at 8:44 a.m. But the clouds that have been expected to roll in now carry a higher chance of rain than thought last night.
Forecasts range from a 40 percent chance of rain by weather.com to 60 percent by wunderground.com – with the most likely time around 4 p.m. by most accounts.
Keep in mind, leader Phil Mickelson isn’t set to tee off until 3:20 p.m. with playing partner Hunter Mahan in the day’s final group.
With sunset at 8:32 p.m., that leaves little room for error to avoid a Monday finish on a Merion East Course where play has not always been quick amid narrow fairways, thick rough and undulating greens – not to mention five long finishing holes that have played well above par.