Welcome to Golfweek’s Men’s Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men’s college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Alabama: The record-setting victory at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational led to the team’s third win in as many starts this season. The Crimson Tide swept the team and individual titles at Isleworth and placed two others inside the top 13. The team broke three team records – the low 18-, 36- and 54-hole – that were each set by the 2007 Georgia Bulldogs.
2. Oklahoma State: The team shot a second-round 7-under 281, took the lead and never looked back at the U.S. Collegiate Championship. The Cowboys held off the charging Yellow Jackets for their first victory of the season and first under new head coach Alan Bratton.
3. Cal State Fullerton: The Titans won their first event of the season and seventh tournament since the team was reinstated in the 2009-10 season. CSU Fullerton was 11 shots back – and in third place – entering the final round. The team shot a final-round 7-under 281 – the best round in the final round – to win by one over San Diego.
4. Central Florida: The 16th-ranked team in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings finished second at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational. The team made a run during the final round, but Alabama eventually pulled away for a 12 shot victory. The Knights beat No. 4 California, No. 6 Illinois and No. 9 New Mexico at the tournament. Three players – Kyle Wilshire, Ryan Stovash and Greg Eason – all finished inside the top 10.
5. Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets wrapped up their fall season at the U.S. Collegiate Championship. In four tournaments, the team had two wins and two runner-up finishes, including at the Collegiate. In all four of those tournaments, the second-ranked team in the country claimed medalist honors at all four tournaments.
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: The senior set the 54-hole record at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational for the first win of his Crimson Tide career. Mullinax tied the 11-under 205 record held by former Georgia Bulldogs standout Harris English. He shot rounds of 66-68-71 for a four-stroke victory.
2. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: The junior picked up his second win of the season at Georgia Tech’s home event, the U.S. Collegiate Championship. Schniederjans ran away with the title after first and second rounds of 66-69. He finished with a 1-under 71 and won by four shots.
3. Daniel Chian, Long Beach State: Chian shot a final-round 6-under 66 to come from behind victory at the Bill Cullum Invitational. Chian, a sophomore, picked up the first win of his young career.
4. Hank Lebida, Florida State: The 2012-13 ACC Freshman of the Year had a strong showing – a runner up finish – in Florida State’s last tournament at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational. Lebida fired rounds of even par or better in every round at Isleworth, finishing four shots behind Mullinax.
5. Brandon Hagy, California: The senior finished the fall season with four consecutive top 10 finishes, including three finishes that were inside the top five after Cal’s last tournament of at Isleworth. Hagy finished T-8 at Isleworth and shot the low round of the day (final round) for Cal with a 1-under 71.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: Won, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational
2. Georgia Tech: Second, U.S. Collegiate Championship
3. Texas A&M: T-5, U.S. Collegiate Championship
4. California: Third, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational
5. Oklahoma State: Won, U.S. Collegiate Championship
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: Won, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational
2. Robby Shelton, Alabama: T-13, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational
3. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: Won, U.S. Collegiate Championship
4. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: T-23, U.S. Collegiate Championship
5. Brandon Hagy, California: T-8, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational