Friday’s first-round tee times at the 2014 Hyundai Tournament of Champions seem to be saving the best for last – with Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar and Adam Scott comprising the day’s final two pairings.
Scott was chosen in fan voting to go off last with defending champion Dustin Johnson, with Kuchar and Zach Johnson ending up in the group ahead. Other players with late tee times include Brandt Snedeker, paired with Billy Horschel; Jason Dufner, paired with Gary Woodland; and Webb Simpson, paired with Jordan Spieth.
Here are some more facts and figures on this week’s tournament:
• Time and place: Friday through Monday, Kapalua (Hawaii) Resort, The Plantation Course.
• Top-ranked players, OWGR: [2, Adam Scott; 7, Matt Kuchar]. Sagarin: [3, Scott; 4, Kuchar].
• At stake: $1.026 million first prize in $5.7 million purse.
• Short shots: Scott, the reigning Masters champion, won the Australian PGA and Australian Masters in consecutive weeks in November – and also teamed with Jason Day as Australia won the World Cup at Royal Melbourne. . . . The 30-man field could have included five more who qualified: Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson and Tiger Woods. . . . Usually the first event of the PGA Tour season, it is the seventh as the wraparound schedule makes its debut, followed by next week’s Sony Open at Waialae in Honolulu.
• • •
Complete pairings and tee times for the 30-man, no-cut Hyundai Tournament of Champions on the Plantation Course at Kapalua in Hawaii (all times local):
10:30 a.m.: Derek Ernst, Woody Austin
10:40 a.m.: Martin Laird, Scott Brown
10:50 a.m.: Ken Duke, Sang-Moon Bae
11:00 a.m.: Brian Gay, Michael Thompson
11:10 a.m.: Jonas Blixt, Patrick Reed
11:20 a.m.: Russell Henley, Ryan Moore
11:30 a.m.: Jimmy Walker, John Merrick
11:40 a.m.: Harris English, Chris Kirk
11:50 a.m.: Boo Weekley, D.A. Points
12:00 p.m.: Bill Haas, Kevin Streelman
12:10 p.m.: Jason Dufner, Gary Woodland
12:20 p.m.: Brandt Snedeker, Billy Horschel
12:30 p.m.: Jordan Spieth, Webb Simpson
12:40 p.m.: Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar
12:50 p.m.: Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott
– Associated Press contributed