PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif. – United States captain Tom Watson will be 65 when the 2014 Ryder Cup is played in Gleneagles, Scotland.
Heading into the Northern Trust Open here at Riviera Country Club, six players younger than 30 (Harris English, Dustin Johnson, Chris Kirk, Patrick Reed, Jordan Spieth and Scott Stallings) are among the top 15 players on the U.S. Ryder Cup points list.
You know you are too old to be Ryder Cup captain when you . . .
- Postpone morning fourballs so you can collect your Social Security check.
- Fail a mandatory driving test with a golf cart.
- Try to add a Ryder Cup rule that the captain be at least twice as old as his youngest player.
- Forget your reading glasses and have to ask, “Hey, Raymond, I can’t read the pairings chart. Who did we put in the first group?”
- Name an official team cardiologist.
- Announce that one spot on your Ryder Cup team will be reserved for a player from the Champions Tour.
- Have to appoint a special assistant to handle your Twitter and Facebook communication.
- Name Dorothy and Toto as assistant captains, explaining, “I thought Gleneagles was in Kansas.”
- Cancel afternoon foursomes in favor of a nap.
- Hang a sign around your neck: “I speak youth.”