Welcome to Golfweek’s Women’s Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women’s college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- 1. USC: The top-ranked Trojans won the Liz Murphey Collegiate April 6 in Athens, Ga. USC defeated Arkansas, 3-2, in the match-play final. Kyung Kim, Karen Chung and Gabby Then each recorded victories in the championship match.
- 2. South Carolina: The Gamecocks used a second-round, 8-under 280 to help notch a six-shot victory at the Ping/ASU Invitational April 6 in Tempe, Ariz. South Carolina, the No. 12 team in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, finished at 11-under 853, led by Samantha Swinehart, who finished in a tie for third at 5 under.
- 3. Florida State: Florida State closed with a 5-under 283 to notch a 24-shot victory April 8 at the Web.com Intercollegiate at Marsh Landing Country Club in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The 31st-ranked Seminoles finished at 13-under 851 and were the only team under par for the tournament.
- 4. Baylor: The Bears won the weather-shortened title at the SMU/Dallas Athletic Club Invitational on April 6. The third round of play was cancelled due to lightning, giving the Bears a four-stroke victory over runner-up LSU through 36 holes. Baylor finished at 15 over par, led by junior Hayley Davis, who finished in a tie for second at 2 over.
- 5. New Mexico State: The Aggies posted a wire-to-wire victory Tuesday at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz. New Mexico State finished at 23-over 887, nine shots head of runner-up Santa Clara.
- 1. Celine Boutier, Duke: The sophomore took medalist honors at the Ping/ASU Invitational after finishing at 8-under 208. She shot sub-70 rounds on Friday and Saturday and finished up with a 70 on Sunday.
- 2. Matilda Castren, Florida State: The freshman captured medalist honors for Florida State at the Web.com Intercollegiate, finishing at 12-under 204. She won by four shots over teammate Alex Milan and Maryland’s Juliet Vongphoumy. It was her second victory of the spring.
- 3. Elizabeth Mallett, North Carolina: The sophomore took medalist honors at the SMU/Dallas Athletic Club Invitational after finishing at 3-under 141. She beat out the next-best golfer by five strokes. Mallett made four birdies in her final round en route to a 3-under 69, which tied the lowest single-round score of the tournament.
- 4. Alice Kim, Gonzaga: Kim won the individual title April 8 at the Gold Rush with a 1-under 215, two shots better than teammate Ciera Min and Long Beach State’s Rochelle Chan.
- 5. Sarah Storandt, North Dakota State: Storandt won medalist honors April 8 at the Kansas City Shootout with a 7-over 223, six shots clear of the field.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. USC: won, Liz Murphey Collegiate
- 2. UCLA: DNP
- 3. Duke: T-2, Ping/ASU Invitational
- 4. Stanford: DNP
- 5. Arkansas: second, Liz Murphey Collegiate
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. Alison Lee, UCLA: DNP
- 2. Annie Park, USC: DNP
- 3. Yu Liu, Duke: seventh, Ping/ASU Invitational
- 4. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP
- 5. Noemi Jimenez, Arizona State: second, Ping/ASU Invitational