Seriously, where did the European Tour find this kid?
We’ve been fans of the European Tour’s “Little Interview” series in which a sassy child named Billy asks pros hilariously blunt questions. If you missed it, his chat with Andrew “Beef” Johnston was fantastic.
But Billy got Rory McIlroy this week, and this interview was somehow even better. First, before we get to that interview, let’s note that Billy went all-out with his garb – inspired by being in Dubai for the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai – for his intro.
But onto the actual questions … you ready? Billy throws funny digs at every player he interviews, but we have to say McIlroy receives the highest volume of any Billy interview subject. It was amazing.
Here’s a mini-rundown:
• “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?” – In reference to McIlroy’s former bushy hairstyle
• “If you’re so tough, how come you are so scared of a little, tiny mosquito?” – Poking fun at McIlroy’s Zika virus excuse for skipping the Olympics
• “I heard the world will end if you never get a green jacket, is that true?” – Pointing out consternation over McIlroy having not yet won the Masters
• “Everybody wants to know the real reason why you nearly missed your Ryder Cup tee time.” – Referencing McIlroy almost missing his singles match tee time at the 2012 Ryder Cup
• “Can you put a good word in for me with Tiger? I’m going after him next.” – What an interview that would be.
• “What should I ask (Tiger) for, career advice or chat-up lines?” – Oh wow, yep now we’re really convinced that would be an amazing interview.
• “For Christmas I’m getting the same golf clubs as you’re getting next year. What should I be asking for?” – Getting into what equipment McIlroy might use now that Nike is no longer making clubs
Some really funny digs along with some questions we were curious about, too. While McIlroy reveals no new story on that Ryder Cup sleep in or his equipment, still nicely done, Billy. Here is the full marvelous interview below (which also includes McIlroy almost holing a wedge and the pair taking a nice swim):
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) November 18, 2016
Oh and before we go, the video’s kicker is amazing. Billy offers up a wedding gift of a box of socks, to which McIlroy openly wonders, why a box of socks?
“Just in case you get cold feet again,” Billy quips.
Wow, Billy, you truly are a savage. Or as McIlroy puts it, “You are a cheeky little ****.”
– Kevin Casey