Haney: Woods ‘OK’ after car accident
Friday, November 27, 2009
ORLANDO, Fla. – Tiger Woods reportedly suffered facial cuts in a car accident near Orlando early Friday morning, but has been released from a hospital and is faring well, according to his instructor.
Authorities initially described his injuries as “serious” and said Woods was taken to a local hospital. However, a CNN report, citing the mayor of Windermere, where Woods lives, said that the 14-time major winner had been released.
Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor told The Associated Press that officers found the 33-year-old PGA Tour star lying in the street with his wife, Elin, hovering over him. According to authorities, the accident occurred at 2:25 a.m.
Elin Woods told officers that she was in their house in the gated community of Isleworth when she heard the accident and “came out and broke the back window with a golf club.”
Woods had cuts to his upper and lower lips, and blood in his mouth, Saylor said.
The chief said Woods was in and out of consciousness when his two officers arrived at the accident scene. He said the officers held Woods to the ground and “when he woke up, he tried to get up and lost consciousness.”
He said officers treated Woods for 10 minutes until an ambulance arrived.
A statement released on tigerwoods.com from Health Central Hospital and Tiger Woods’ office called the car accident minor. The statement also said Woods was admitted, treated and released from the hospital, and that he is in good condition.
Woods’ instructor, Hank Haney, who is traveling in China, also sent a text to Golfweek, saying: “I hear he’s OK.”
The news of Woods’ accident, which broke this afternoon and sparked significant media coverage, drew responses from other friends and players.
Said fellow Isleworth resident John Cook, who was playing in the club’s annual father/son tournament on Friday: “It was a four-helicopter day at Isleworth. We figured something was going on.”
When asked if he knew why Woods left his house in the middle of the night, Cook said: “I don't know. That's the million-dollar question.”
The accident remains under investigation, but according to authorities, Woods was alone in the car and alcohol consumption was not a factor.
Details, at this point, are limited: Shortly after pulling out of his driveway, Woods struck the fire hydrant, then a tree, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Woods was driving a 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle and the airbags in the car did not deploy, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The newspaper stated that airbags typically do not deploy if a vehicle is traveling less than 33 miles per hour.
Woods, who has won 82 times around the world, returned to his $2.4 million home in the exclusive Isleworth subdivision near Orlando earlier this week after attending the Stanford-Cal football game, where he tossed the coin at the start of the game and was inducted into Stanford’s sports Hall of Fame at halftime.
He had traveled to China and Australia earlier in the month, winning the Australian Masters on Nov. 15.
Woods was to host his tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, on Monday at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
He won six times this year after missing eight months recovering from reconstructive surgery on his left knee. Even though he failed to win a major, Woods said he considered this a successful year because he did not know how his knee would respond.
– Jeff Rude contributed
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.