Five storylines to start the season
Friday, October 2, 2009
October is here and while I have been a bit behind in the Blog department, let me examine the month of September with my top five in women’s golf from the past month.
5. I have to give a shout-out to Michigan State’s Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll. Why? Because the Spartans seem to always be better than good. Michigan State checks in at No. 10 as we head into October. Many have thought the Spartans might cycle out and have a down year at some point in time, but if that is true, it does not appear to be this year.
4. What will Amy Anderson do? That is the water cooler talk this fall. And I am asking whether she will stay four years at North Dakota State, I am making reference to her play this season. Can she go undefeated this fall? The freshman, who won the U.S. Girls’ Junior Championship in July, has started the fall with three consecutive victories and will put her streak on the line on Monday at the Oral Roberts Shootout.
3. Pepperdine has gotten a lot of headlines after starting the year undefeated, but there are three other schools who have played more than once and are still perfect. Idaho, Western Carolina and Campbell are off to great starts and all eyes will be on these schools in October.
2. Speaking of Pepperdine, the Waves have started the year with a pair of victories - winning the Golfweek Conference Challenge and the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. The question here is can the Waves push toward the top and possibly even challenge the Big Three in women’s golf?
1. Speaking of the Big Three, will any teams be able to give Southern California, Arizona State and UCLA a serious run this year? Likely candidates are Auburn, maybe LSU and possibly Purdue. I like Andrea Gaston’s USC squad to have a slight edge this year behind the play of Jennifer Song, Lizette Salas and Belen Mozo, who is out for the semester with a shoulder injury.