Getting ready for Round 2 of Match Play
Thursday, February 18, 2010
MARANA, Ariz. – A little of this, a dose of that as we push off on the second day of the Accenture Match Play Championship at Dove Mountain:
• If you are determined to follow an American today, spare yourself the left side of the bracket. Of the 16 players left in the Jones and Hogan brackets, only one is carrying the red, white, and blue flag – that being Matt Kuchar.
• Meanwhile, seven of the 16 are still alive on the right side – the Player and Snead brackets – are Americans: Nick Watney, Ben Crane, Jim Furyk, Sean O’Hair, Stewart Cink, Brian Gay, and Zach Johnson.
• Seven of the top 10 seeds moved on to Round 2, with Nos. 1 (Steve Stricker), 7 (Henrik Stenson) and 8 (Padraig Harrington) going down to defeat.
• Stewart Cink improved to 19-10 in the Accenture Match Play Championship, tying him with Davis Love for third-most wins. Tiger Woods leads with a 32-7 mark, with David Toms at 23-9.
• Winning precentage-wise, it’s tough to beat Geoff Ogilvy’s 18-2 record.