TPC Sawgrass clamps down ahead of Tiger
If you were thinking about swinging by TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., for a round of golf Friday, you might want to reconsider. Access to the property’s two courses will be limited because of Tiger Woods’ announcement at 11 a.m.
Some details about the preparations:
• The announcement has been in the works for some time. According to a source, a room in the TPC Sawgrass clubhouse was reserved late last week. (According to the Orlando Sentinel, John Cook said he received an invitation to the announcement late Monday.)
• There will be play at TPC Sawgrass’ Players Stadium and Dye’s Valley courses on Friday, but at some point this week, open tee times were frozen.
• Though TPC Sawgrass is gated, there has been a push in recent years to make the clubhouse more accessible to the public. For example, the clubhouse hosts a public happy hour during the week. The scene Friday will be different.
• Names of those playing TPC Sawgrass on Friday were given to the gate security. For players to get through the gate, their names must be on the list.
• On Thursday, police cars were stationed outside of Sawgrass Marriott and TPC Sawgrass, checking IDs. Security is lining the courses to make sure that people do not sneak onto the property that way.
• Outside operations staff at TPC Sawgrass will have to report to the clubhouse at 4:30 a.m. Friday to prepare for the event.