Complete PGA Merchandise Show coverage
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Golfweek.com is on the floor at the PGA Merchanside Show to bring you an up-close look at the latest equipment and golf industry news. Check back daily as Golfweek.com brings you all the action from Orlando, Fla.:
• Biz Blog: Gene Yasuda, Adam Schupak and James Achenbach report on industry news.
• Toy Box Blog: James Achenbach weighs in on the newest equipment.
• Fashion Blog: Ashleigh Korzack and Ashley Crain with the hottest trends of 2010.
• • •
SATURDAY (Day 3)
• Heavy club line expanding through the bag: Adam Schupak has an update on the heavy club line, which has expanded from putters to wedges, with irons and drivers in the works.
• Golf fashion goes innovative: Ashleigh Korzack found some of the more ingenious ideas on the fashion end of the Show, including perfectly-placed pockets, cutting-edge materials and some serious protection from the elements.
• Tattoos and golf mix together in fashion: Asher Wildman found a golf clothing line that caters to the golfer with tattoos.
• • •
FRIDAY (Day 2)
• VIDEO: David Leadbetter in your living room: Asher Wildman takes a look at the latest in golf training aids from the 2010 PGA Merchandise Show. Featuring tips from David Leadbetter, "My Personal Golf Trainer" for Nintendo's Wii brings golf training to the whole family.
• PGA of America teams with RBC: Gene Yasuda says RBC’s new alliance with the PGA of America is a testament that golf sponsorship still works.
• Bridgestone B-330 RX ball gets better: Bridgestone has introduced a new and improved version of its popular B-330 RX ball ball as well as an additional version, the B-330 RXS.
• Pelz, Odyssey Golf team up again: Adam Schupak reports that short-game guru Dave Pelz is joining Odyssey Golf as a brand ambassador.
• Shirts, shoes and shades! While skimming the booths Friday at the PGA Merchandise Show, Ashley Crain picked out three items that were truly worth writing home about.
• Chain’d Out provides back-nine boost: Self-proclaimed energy drink aficionado Asher Wildman found a solution to the back-nine energy drain. It’s called Chain’d Out.
• Asher golf gloves full of flair: Asher Wildman finally found his namesake in a golf glove company that specializes in bold colors and patterns.
• Meet the man behind Travis Mathew clothing: Ashley Crain caught up with Travis Johnson, the man behind the Travis Mathew clothing line, before the PGA Merchandise Show.
• • •
THURSDAY (Day 1)
• Could Tour stop use of Ping Eye 2 wedges? James Achenbach investigates whether or not the PGA Tour could ever stop players from carrying square-grooved Ping Eye 2 wedges.
• Lefty relies on arsenal of Eye 2 wedges: James Achenbach says Phil Mickelson has a handful of old Ping wedges, and is on the lookout for more.
• Golf industry retains lobbyist for Capitol clout: Gene Yasuda says golf needed some clout in Washington, D.C., and now has hired help to get it.
• Device teaches golfers to pivot like pros: Asher Wildman tells the story behind the Pivot Pro, a training aid that helps golfers understand the importance of pivoting.
• Simulators are in at the PGA merchandise show: Asher Wildman tried out the OptiShot Infrared Golf Simulator at the PGA Merchandise Show and says it's fun for the whole family.
• Knickers a hit at PGA Show: Ashleigh Korzack saw a booth full of knickers sure to take the golf world by storm at the PGA Merchandise Show.
• Mr. and Mrs. Solheim hit Bora Bora: James Achenbach with the latest from John Solheim about his December marriage.
• Folks attending PGA Show lack style: Ashley Crain is hoping Day 2 at the PGA Show turns out some more sharply dressed attendees.
• VIDEO: Demo Day 2010: Titleist, Cobra, Ping
• • •
WEDNESDAY (8th annual Outdoor Demo Day)
• Man smashes Guinness record at Demo Day: Adam Schupak reports that one of golf’s Guinness World Record was smashed – 7,721 times.
• • •
• 2010 Golf Gear Guide: New equipment We take a look at a mix of products coming early in 2010, some of which will be featured at the PGA Merchandise Show.
• Your weekend itinerary: Ashleigh Korzack takes a closer look at some must-see booths and events at the PGA Merchandise Show.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.