NCAA women's regional bids released
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Follow on Twitter
Asher Wildman and Lance Ringler break down the NCAA women's regional bids, and try to identify a few potential Cinderellas.
USC enters NCAA regional action as the nation’s overall No. 1 seed. The Pac-10 champs will headline the West Regional field, UCLA is the top team in the Central Region in Notre Dame, Ind., and Alabama will be the team to beat in the East at LPGA International in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Fourth-ranked Purdue returns all five starters from last year’s NCAA Championship team. The Boilermakers will try to advance to this year’s championship through the East Region.
Morehead State, Butler, Texas-El Paso, Texas-San Antonio and Alabama State will play in the postseason for the first time in school history as each received a bid by winning the automatic qualifying spot out of their respective conferences. North Texas also will play in the postseason for the first time in school history after receiving an at-large bid.
Eight teams from each region will advance to the NCAA Championship May 18-21 at Texas A&M’s Traditions Club in College Station, Texas.
Site: LPGA International, Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Arizona State
- Auburn (Southeastern Conference)
- Michigan State (Big Ten Conference)
- North Carolina (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Florida State
- TCU (Mountain West Conference)
- Texas Tech
- Coastal Carolina (Big South Conference)
- Augusta State
- Yale (The Ivy League)
- Stetson (Atlantic Sun Conference)
- North Carolina-Wilmington (Colonial Athletic Association)
- Fairleigh Dickinson (Northeast Conference)
- Alabama State (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Shena Yang, South Florida
- Charlotte Lorentzen, Georgia State
- Stefanie Kenoyer, Furman
- Kelly Shon, Princeton
- Maria Ronderos, Miami (Florida)
- Leigh Whittaker, College of Charleston
• • •
Site: Warren Golf Course, South Bend, Ind.
Host: Notre Dame
- Wake Forest
- Texas (Big 12 Conference)
- Notre Dame (Big East Conference)
- Ohio State
- Kent State (Mid-American Conference)
- Chattanooga (Southern Conference)
- Oklahoma State
- North Texas
- East Carolina
- Morehead State (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Illinois State (Missouri Valley Conference)
- Butler (Horizon League)
- Harin Lee, St. Johnís (New York)
- Lindsay Gahm, Indiana
- Bonnie Hu, Harvard
- Nina Muehl, East Tennessee State
- Brittany Kelly, Ball State
- Britney Hamilton, Western Michigan
• • •
Site: Washington National Golf Club, Auburn, Wash.
- Southern California (Pacific-10 Conference)
- Iowa State
- UC Davis (Big West Conference)
- Texas A&M
- South Carolina
- Denver (Sun Belt Conference)
- San Diego State
- Brigham Young
- New Mexico
- Texas-San Antonio (Southland Conference)
- Portland State (Big Sky Conference)
- New Mexico State
- San Jose State (Western Athletic Conference)
- Oral Roberts (The Summit League)
- Texas-El Paso (Conference USA)
- Kayla Mortellaro, Idaho
- Teo Poplawski, Idaho
- Amy Anderson, North Dakota State
- Brianna Espinoza, Colorado State
- Jessica Hollandsworth, Maryland
- Chelsey Cothran, Baylor
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.