DirecTV, PGA.com beef up PGA coverage
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
If golf fans aren’t satisfied with 28 hours of live PGA Championship coverage on TNT and CBS, they can find enhanced coverage on DirecTV and PGA.com.
As is its custom for major championships, DirecTV plans bonus coverage of the PGA, using four dedicated channels during all four rounds.
• Channel 701 will be the Mix Channel, with feeds from four different channels.
• Channels 703-705 will show marquee groups each day, key holes, and player interviews and features.
For Thursday’s opening round, there will be two marquee groups:
• Former PGA champions Martin Kaymer, Y.E. Yang and Shaun Micheel, who tee off at 1:15 p.m.
• 2011 major champions Charl Schwartzel, Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke tee off at 1:45 p.m.
There will be three marquee groups on Friday:
• Adam Scott, Ryo Ishikawa and Matteo Manassero tee off at 1:05 p.m.
• Phil Mickelson, David Toms and Vijay Singh at 1:25 p.m.
• Tiger Woods, Davis Love III and Padraig Harrington at 1:45 p.m.
DirecTV also will offer interactive features, including a leaderboard, highlights, player scorecards and stats, and aerial views of holes.
If you’re stuck at the computer and can’t watch on television, PGA.com will be following two three-balls throughout the first two rounds: the Woods group at 8:35 a.m. Thursday and 1:45 p.m. Friday, and the McIlroy group at 1:45 p.m. Thursday and 8:45 a.m. Friday.
Ernie Johnson will anchor TNT’s coverage. Ian Baker-Finch and Bill Kratzert will provide analysis, and Jim Huber will do the interviews.
On PGA.com, Will Haskett will handle play-by-play, Michael Breed will do analysis, and Brian Katrek and Craig Sager will serve as reporters.
PGA.com also will introduce what it calls a 360 Degree Camera, allowing viewers to get panoramic views of the course.