Dropped by NBC, Faxon to focus on Tour
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Given the pieces to the puzzle at work – he turns 50 in August and will turn his focus to the Champions Tour, his limited status on the PGA Tour, the association with NBC – Brad Faxon was having a tough time planning out a playing schedule for 2011.
But that task has become easier – much to his chagrin. That’s because Faxon won’t be part of the NBC golf team this year. Instead, NBC has pulled a bit of a surprise and inked Peter Jacobsen to an increased role.
“Brad Faxon had a one-year contract and it was not renewed,” Chris McCloskey, vice president of communications for NBC Sports, told Golfweek’s Alex Miceli.
Faxon, who worked seven tournaments for NBC last year, had been trying to map out his playing opportunities around possible TV gigs when he got the news. He said he thoroughly enjoyed the NBC experience and wouldn’t rule out future TV endeavors, but for now he’ll focus on a return to form on the course.
Having kept his full status on tour for 22 consecutive years, Faxon has been plagued by a series of injuries and inconsistent play the past five seasons. To keep in the game he has already used his one-time exemptions for being top 25 and top 50 in career money, so he knew going into 2011 that he’d have to rely upon sponsor’s exemptions, Monday qualifiers and the past champion’s category.
As it stands, Faxon, who will turn 50 Aug. 1, figures he’ll play three of the first eight weeks (Bob Hope Classic, AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, Mayakoba Golf Classic). After that, he can’t say for sure.
Jacobsen will work eight tournaments for NBC – the Accenture Match Play Championship, the Cadillac Championship, the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the Players Championship, the U.S. Open, and three FedEx Cup events.
Alex Miceli contributed to this report.