Unusual allergies force Bettencourt to WD
Matt Bettencourt withdrew from the Wells Fargo Championship on Friday due to severe allergies. Some might think that was an excuse after his first-round 79, but it’s much more complicated than that.
Bettencourt, 36, started having breathing problems in Houston that he believes are a severe allergy ailment, which is what doctors in multiple cites have told him.
The difficulties started during the Shell Houston Open and since then Bettencourt has been trying to get a proper diagnosis and, more importantly, proper treatment.
“Last week I ended up in the hospital in New Orleans,” Bettencourt said. “The doctor gave me some stuff I shouldn’t have been taking on Tuesday – it dehydrated me. So Saturday night after the third round I got a bag and half (1800 cc’s) of an IV put in me.
Bettencourt received some new medication after the hospital visit, but it made him drowsy and he started having a terrible sneezing attack on the range before his first round on Thursday at Quail Hollow. Before he teed off, he went to the medical trailer for some relief.
“The medication they gave me made me very dizzy out there and I didn’t know if I could finish the front nine,” Bettencourt said. “It kind of burned off on the back nine.”
Bettencourt woke up Friday morning feeling worse. After weeks of not sleeping and continual breathing problems, he decided to withdraw Friday morning and go to a specialist.
“It’s in my chest now,’ Bettencourt said as he was packing up his car at Quail Hollow on Friday. “It’s a big week next week and I want to be prepared.”