The Players Championship: The pairings
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – World No. 1 Lee Westwood isn’t at The Players Championship, but many of the game’s biggest names are. Here are your featured pairings for The Players Championship’s first two rounds:
• 8:08 a.m., No. 1: Tiger Woods is paired with World No. 2 Martin Kaymer and Matt Kuchar, last year’s leading money winner on the PGA Tour.
• 8:08 a.m., No. 10: Luke Donald, who can become World No. 1 with a win this week, is paired with the only players to have won twice this season, Bubba Watson and Mark Wilson.
• 8:18 a.m., No. 1: Ernie Els, who was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame on Monday, will play with last week’s winner, Lucas Glover, and Paul Casey.
• 8:29 a.m., No. 10: Former Players champions Adam Scott (2004), Tim Clark (2010) and Sergio Garcia (2008) will try to collect their second trophy at TPC Sawgrass.
• 1:18 p.m., No. 1: Phil Mickelson, winner of the 2007 Players, is paired with Arnold Palmer Invitational winner Martin Laird and Transitions champ Gary Woodland. They’re Nos. 4-5-6 in the FedEx Cup standings, respectively.
• 1:18 p.m., No. 10: Ponte Vedra Beach resident Jim Furyk, last year’s PGA Tour player of the year, is playing with U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell and Dustin Johnson. Joe LaCava, the caddie for two-time Players champion Fred Couples, will loop for Johnson this week.
• 1:28 p.m., No. 10: Masters champion Charl Schwartzel will play with Hunter Mahan and Steve Stricker. Schwartzel hasn’t played since tying for 11th at the Malaysian Open the week after the Masters.
• 2:00 p.m., No. 1: Venezuela, Italy and Kentucky will be represented in the grouping of Jhonattan Vegas, Francesco Molinari and J.B. Holmes. Molinari was ninth here last year.
• 2:10 p.m., No. 1: Rickie Fowler, 22, is playing with 18-year-old Matteo Manassero and Spain’s Alvaro Quiros. Manassero, already a two-time European Tour winner, is the youngest participant in Players Championship history.