Walker Cup: Captains set their Sunday lineups
2011 Walker Cup: Day 1 in pictures
A look at images from Day 1 at the 2011 Walker Cup in Aberdeen, Scotland.
ABERDEEN, Scotland - Nigel Edwards, captain of the Great Britain & Ireland Walker Cup team, is pretty much sticking with a winning formula for the final day of the 43rd Walker Cup.
The Welshman has sent out three of the same pairings in Sunday’s second foursomes sessions that he used in Saturday’s first session of foursomes. No wonder. GB&I raced to a 3-1 lead in the match when the pairings of Tom Lewis and Michael Stewart, Jack Senior and Andy Sullivan, and Paul Cutler and Alan Dunbar all won their opening foursomes matches.
Edwards has kept faith in those pairings. The only change he has made is to bench Stiggy Hodgson and Steven Brown by replacing them with Rhys Pugh and James Byrne. The latter two sat out the first session but were impressive in winning their opening singles matches.
“I’m pretty clear what I’m doing with my foursomes,” Edwards said.
Counterpart Jim Holtgrieve, meanwhile, has changed two of his pairings for the U.S. Peter Uihlein and Harris English lost to Lewis and Stewart in the opening session but remain together. Chris Williams and Patrick Cantlay team up again after a 5-and-3 victory against Brown and Hodgson.
Holtgrieve has paired Jordan Spieth and Patrick Rodgers to open the second foursomes session. Those two sat out the opening session. U.S. Amateur champion Kelly Kraft and Blayne Barber is his other rearranged pairing. Kraft played with Russell Henley in the opening session, while Barber played with Nathan Smith. Smith and Henley will sit out the second foursomes.
The singles session throws up some intriguing matches. Uihlein plays Hodgson in a rematch of their 2009 Walker Cup match that Uihlein won. Lewis plays Henley in the opening match while Northern Ireland’s Cutler takes on Cantlay, the world’s top-ranked amateur, in the anchor match.
Walker Cup: Meet the teams
The U.S. and GB&I Walker Cup squads feature some of the best amateur players in the world. Get to know the 20 men battling for the Cup this week at Royal Aberdeen.
• 8:30 a.m.: Tom Lewis-Michael Stewart (GB&I) vs. Jordan Spieth-Patrick Rodgers (U.S.)
• 8:40 a.m.: Jack Senior-Andy Sullivan (GB&I) vs. Peter Uihlein-Harris English (U.S.)
• 8:50 a.m.: Paul Cutler-Alan Dunbar (GB&I) vs. Kelly Kraft-Blayne Barber (U.S.)
• 9 a.m.: James Byrne-Rhys Pugh (GB&I) vs. Patrick Cantlay-Chris Williams (U.S.)
• 1:15 p.m.: Tom Lewis (GB&I) vs. Russell Henley (U.S.)
• 1:25 p.m.: Andy Sullivan (GB&I) vs. Jordan Spieth (U.S.)
• 1:35 p.m.: Jack Senior (GB&I) vs. Nathan Smith (U.S.)
• 1:45 p.m.: Michael Stewart (GB&I) vs. Patrick Rodgers (U.S.)
• 1:55 p.m.: Stiggy Hodgson (GB&I) vs. Peter Uihlein (U.S.)
• 2:05 p.m.: Steven Brown (GB&I) vs. Blayne Barber (U.S.)
• 2:15 p.m.: Rhys Pugh (GB&I) vs. Kelly Kraft (U.S.)
• 2.25 p.m.: Alan Dunbar (GB&I) vs. Chris Williams (U.S.)
• 2:35 p.m.: James Byrne (GB&I) vs. Harris English (U.S.)
• 2:45 p.m.: Paul Cutler (GB&I) vs. Patrick Cantlay (U.S.)