Match Play: Predictions and tee times for Sweet 16
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Our Jim McCabe has been on the scene all week and has his picks for who will be advancing to the Elite 8 on Saturday in Arizona.
• Martin Kaymer def. Matt Kuchar (Tee time: 12:50 p.m. EST) – Don’t be fooled by all those Kuchar smiles. Kaymer isn’t cracking jokes; it’s just Kooch being Kooch.
• Steve Stricker def. Hunter Mahan (1:02 p.m. EST) – On paper, it appears to be the most evenly matched game of the day. Good drivers, terrific putters, neither puts himself in too much trouble.
• Nick Watney def. Lee Westwood (1:14 p.m. EST) – So, the odds seemed stacked against Watney. He has beaten Westwood two years in a row in this championship, but could it be difficult to do for a third time? True. But there’s the matter of his play, which has been very sharp thus far.
• Martin Laird def. Paul Lawrie (1:26 p.m. EST) – Settle in with a plate of haggis, and to really get in the mood, toss on a kilt. Scottish golf is alive and well.
• Peter Hanson def. Brandt Snedeker (1:38 p.m. EST) – Perhaps if he advances to the quarterfinals, or goes further, our question will be answered: Just who is Peter Hanson?
• Dustin Johnson def. Mark Wilson (1:50 p.m. EST) – Feel free to note that Johnson appears to be rounding into form and getting better as the tournament moves forward.
• Rory McIlroy def. Miguel Angel Jimenez (2:02 p.m. EST) – Youngest vs. oldest. Mop of hair vs. ponytail hair. Classic swing vs. WD-40 swing. Hey, either way, great flavor advances.
• John Senden def. Sang-moon Bae (2:14 p.m. EST) – Going with the timeless theory that it’s tough to follow up one great round with another, Bae is in trouble. He shot 5 under for his last 10 holes in Thursday’s win against Charl Schwartzel.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.