5 Things you didn't know about Casey Martin
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
View images of Oregon's Casey Martin at the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship.
SAN FRANCISCO – Five things you probably didn’t know about Casey Martin:
1. Martin redshirted at Stanford so he could delay the end of his college career and play one year with Tiger Woods. Martin’s last year of eligibility coincided with Woods' first year at Stanford.
2. Martin once won $192 from Woods in a putting contest on the 10th green at the Stanford golf course. Martin still has a copy of the check written to him by Woods. Unknown to most people, though, Martin took another $40 from Woods in a practice round for the 1998 U.S. Open. “I wonder if he wants revenge 14 years later,” Martin mused.
3. A huge fan of all University of Oregon sports, Martin is a close friend of UO football coach Chip Kelly. After Kelly was elevated from offensive coordinator to head coach, he allowed Martin, the Ducks' golf coach, to pick the football team’s uniform colors and combinations. This continued for two years, and Kelly introducing Martin as his “fashion coordinator.”
4. Martin never takes a practice swing on the golf course.
5. He hasn’t played in a tournament, other than scrambles, for five years. As the king of fund-raising scrambles, Martin said jokingly, “I guess that’s how you prepare for a U.S. Open.”