O'Meara withdraws from Montreal Championship
Thursday, June 21, 2012
SAINTE-JULIE, Quebec — Mark O'Meara withdrew from the Champions Tour's Montreal Championship on Thursday because of a lingering cartilage injury to his lower right ribs.
The 1998 Masters and British Open champion hoped to return to action Friday at Richelieu Valley after being sidelined for three months, but he pulled out after the pro-am event.
"I just made the call on the third-to-last hole. I said, 'I don't think I can go,' " O'Meara said. "So, you know, it's a long trip. It's a big trip for me to come all the way up here and try to play and then realize I've got to pull out now. I'm not really happy about it, to be honest with you."
The tournament is in its first year at Vallee du Richelieu after two years at Fontainebleu. Last year, John Cook won the last of three 2011 tour titles, shooting 63-66-66 for a tournament-record 21-under 195 total.
Michael Allen, who leads the tour with two victories and earnings of $1,071,282, is in the field.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.