Complete coverage: NCAA postseason
Monday, June 4, 2012
It's that time of year again: NCAA postseason. Check back daily for updates from Golfweek's college gurus, who will be keeping a close eye on the championship season.
• Follow us: Lance Ringler's College Golf Page on Facebook
Men's championship (May 27 - June 3)
MATCH PLAY FINAL
- Hollywood ending: Sunday's finale at the NCAA Championship - where Dylan Frittelli drained a 25-footer for birdie to lead Texas to the title - was a moment meant for a storybook. Story.
- Magical moments: First, it was Bobby Wyatt. Then, Jordan Spieth. Finally, Dylan Frittelli put an exclamation point on a day that won't soon be forgotten. Story.
- NCAA Tracker: Dylan Frittelli makes a birdie on the 18th hole to help the Texas Longhorns win their first national title since 1972. See how it happened with our running blog!
- Match play final, in pictures: Check out images of the NCAA Championship final between Alabama and Texas, held Sunday at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Photos.
MATCH PLAY, DAY 2
- Who will win? The NCAA final between Texas and Alabama promises to be a battle of epic proportions. Our college experts break down who they think will win each match, and subsequently who will win it all. Predictions.
- The scouting report: Match play was supposed to spice the NCAA Championship up. Officials could have never expected this: No. 1 vs. No. 2. An extensive scouting report on both squads, courtesy of Lance Ringler. Story.
- Couldn't ask for more: For the first time since the format was changed to stroke/match play in 2009, the NCAA Championship Final will pit the nation's No. 1 team (Texas) against No. 2 (Alabama) . . . Who could ask for anything more exciting than that? Story.
- Unlikely heroes: Hunter Hamrick and fifth-man Scott Strohmeyer stepped up for second-ranked Alabama, leading the Tide into what figures to be an epic NCAA final against top-ranked Texas. Story.
- Viva Vegas! Texas' Julio Vegas is following in his older brother's footsteps as a successful Venezuelan transplant golfer. One thing he could have on Jhonattan? An NCAA title after leading the Longhorns to the finals. Story.
- Scores: Check out scores from the second day of match play at the 2012 NCAA Men's Golf Championship. Scores.
- Heavyweight battle: In two tightly contested battles, top-seeded Alabama and top-ranked Texas advanced to Sunday's NCAA title match. See how it all unfolded . . .
- Day 2, in pictures: Check out images from Saturday's semifinal matches at the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship at Rivera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Photos.
MATCH PLAY, DAY 1
- Day 1 scoreboard: Check out the scores from Day 1 of match play at the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship. Scores.
- He made it count: Alabama's victory over Kent State came down to a guy that blends into the background in most weeks. But, on Friday, Scott Strohmeyer made sure he didn't miss out on putting his stamp on the NCAAs. Story.
- Pressure point: Cal's Joel Stalter had plenty of experience with match play, which is why he was put into the final pairing on Friday. That move proved to be golden for the Bears. Story.
- Comeback kid: Oregon's Eugene Wong was down two holes with nine to play, and he wouldn't have it any other way - eventually clinching the Ducks' win over UCLA with a birdie at No. 18. Story.
- Credentials approved: Texas had to make a Thursday run to even make match play. Now the Longhorns are two matches away from their first title sine 1972. Story.
- Final Four: Alabama knocks off Kent State, 3.5-1.5, while Cal holds off San Diego State, 3-2, to set up their NCAA semifinal match. Meanwhile, Oregon surprisingly knocked off UCLA and will face Texas. Story.
- Day 1, in pictures: Check out images from Day 4 at the NCAA Men's Championship at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Photos.
- Something Bruin: Sure, Alabama is the top seed. Texas was No. 1 all season. But it is UCLA that a pair of our college experts think that will be hoisting the NCAA trophy come Sunday. Predictions.
- NCAA Tracker: Kent State secured the final spot in match play on Friday morning, setting up a date with top-seeded Alabama. Follow all the matches with our running blog!
- Let's get it on! With Kent State winning an 8 a.m. playoff to get into the final eight, here is a look at the team match-ups, as well as the individual battles we will see at Riviera Country Club today. Story.
- Scores: The third-round leaderboard from the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship at Riviera Country Club. Scoreboard.
- The end: For 22 teams and countless individuals, Thursday marked the end of their collegiate career. Maybe even their competitive golf career. It is abrupt, maybe even "#crazy." Story.
- Anyone's game: San Diego State fired a tournament-low, even-par 284 on Thursday to leap into a share of fourth place heading into match play. Could the Aztecs be the 2012 version of Augusta State? Story.
- What we learned: From the top three ranked schools advancing - including Texas saving face with a nice Thursday - to the need to wrap up all action on Thursday, Lance Ringler tells us what he learned during Round 3 . . . Story.
- Belgian breakthrough: For the second time this collegiate season, Illinois' Thomas Pieters won on a prestigious course known for hosting PGA Tour events. This win gave the Belgian an NCAA title. Story.
- NCAA Tracker: Alabama finishes stroke play at 7 over, two shots ahead of second-place UCLA. Illinois' Thomas Pieters takes the individual title. Which teams secured the coveted match-play spots? Check out our running blog!
- Third round, in pictures: Check out images from Day 3 at the NCAA Men's Championship at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Photos.
- Big move: Texas AM won it all in 2009, but has just missed out on match play the past two seasons. After an impressive morning round, the Aggies will be holding their breath again. Story.
- Last man standing: Come Thursday morning, the intensity at Riviera Country Club will be palpable, with the race for the top eight and the individual champ on the line, setting up college golf's biggest day. Story.
- Scoreboard: The second-round leaderboard from the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship at Riviera Country Club. Scores.
- Steady as he goes: Thomas Pieters is the only player to shoot two rounds in the 60s thus far at Riviera and will take a two-shot lead into Thursday's final round for the individual title. Story.
- This should be fun: Alabama and UCLA held steady on Wednesday, with the Tide holding a four-shot advantage after two rounds. But it will be the race to get into the top eight that will provide epic theater Thursday. Story.
- What we learned: With so many teams in the mix trying to make a run at a match-play spot, tension began to mount during the Day 2 at Riviera. Lance Ringler shares what he learned . . . Story.
- 'Unacceptable:' Texas freshman Jordan Spieth was outspoken about his dismal 8-over 79, but he was far from the only "favorite" to struggle on Wednesday at Riviera Country Club. Story.
- Hanging on: Alabama retained the clubhouse lead after the second round's morning wave, while UCLA (and alum Corey Pavin) made a run before fading late at the tough Riviera Country Club. Story.
- NCAA Tracker: Alabama rallied late to take a three-shot lead after one round at the NCAA Championship. Will the Tide stay hot or will someone catch them on Day 2 at Riviera? Follow with our running blog!
- Second round, in pictures: Images from the second round of stroke play at the NCAA Championship, played Wednesday at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. Photos.
- Short, but deadly: Riviera's 10th hole can be a risk-reward hole, but no one can really pinpoint where to take the risk. And the little 315-yard par-4 is giving the field at the NCAAs fits. Story.
- 10th hole, in pictures: Golfweek's Tracy Wilcox put together a collection of images from hole No. 10 at Riviera Country Club, which often is called the best short par 4 in golf. It's been costly so far for players at the NCAA Championship. Photos.
- In a new class: Brandon Hagy was the sideshow in what promised to be an NCAA main feature between Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas. But our Ryan Lavner says Hagy's talent belongs in the same class. Story.
- Tide continues to roll: Red-hot Alabama used local knowledge from a pair of pros to help lead it to a three-shot lead over Florida and Auburn after Round 1 at the NCAA Championship. Story.
- What we learned: From the set-up at Riviera Country Club to the Pac-12's surprisingly bad Round 1 to the race for player of the year, Lance Ringler reveals what he learned (and didn't learn) on Tuesday. Story.
- Never boring: Alabama's scorecards read like a well-written novel Tuesday at the NCAA Championship. But that's typical Crimson Tide golf. Story.
- Early lead: Tyler McCumber led the Gators to the best round of the morning wave on Tuesday, but Florida head coach Buddy Alexander knows there's lots of golf left. Story
- NCAA Tracker: Wondering how the first round is shaping up at the 2012 NCAA Men's Championship? Will UCLA and Patrick Cantlay have a home-course advantage at Riviera? Follow our running blog!
- Star attraction: USC alum Scott Simpson was the scheduled speaker at a players dinner on Monday night, but it was his guest Bill Murray that stole the show. Story.
- NCAA notebook: Red-hot PGA Tour star Jason Dufner catches up with alma mater, Auburn, to help the Tigers get a read on Riviera, while David Chung is left off Stanford's starting five. Story.
- Eyes for success: Alabama star freshman Justin Thomas knows what success looks like - he has been surrounded by it all of his life, and now he has a chance for an NCAA title. Story.
- Hello, paradise: The NCAA Championship has gone Hollywood, and Riviera Country Club provides a picturesque backdrop to what promises to be a challenging week in southern California. Story.
- Round 1, in pictures: View Golfweek photographer Tracy Wilcox's gallery of the best photos from Day 1 at the NCAA Championship. Gallery
- Who is top dog? Our Sean Martin breaks down the top five candidates for Player of the Year honors, all of whom will be playing at the NCAA Championships this week at Riviera. Story.
- Staff predictions: Our staff on the ground in L.A. takes a stab at predicting this year's Elite 8 and the individual champion. Hint: They're heavy on the Pac-12. Story.
- Battle for L.A.: The rivalry between USC and UCLA - while maybe not what you see on the gridiron - will be on full display this week at the NCAA Championship in Los Angeles. Story.
- Rollin' with the Tide: Only one team can win the NCAA Championship . . . and our Ron Balicki, a.k.a. 'Wrong Ron,' predicts this year's victor will be Alabama. Story.
- What are the odds? Check out how our Ron Balicki breaks down the field, from who is a "best bet" to will need to "wish upon a star" this week at the NCAA Championships in Los Angeles. Story.
- Did you know? Sure, Oklahoma State won't be at Riviera this year. But let's learn more about who will be at the NCAA Championships . . . Story.
- A primer: Our Lance Ringler breaks down the field, including five teams to watch and who might overachieve this week at the NCAA Championship. Story.
Women's championship (May 21-25)
- Fitting finish: In a see-saw battle that saw both USC and Alabama hold the lead during the final round, it was senior Brooke Pancake's 3-foot par putt that clinched the Tide's first NCAA title. Story.
- Great for the game: With Alabama winning and plenty of excitement as multiple teams made a run at the Tide, our Beth Ann Baldry says that true parity in women's college golf is now a reality. Story.
- Final round, in pictures: Check out images from the final round at the 2012 NCAA Women's Division 1 Championship in Franklin, Tenn. Photos.
- Maiden voyage: Our Lance Ringler says that N.C. State and Colorado finally got to the "Big Dance" in 2012, and have built teams that could make return trips. Story.
- Enjoying the journey: With a share of the 54-hole individual lead, Arizona State's Giulia Molinaro has learned to enjoy her journey - from her upbringing in Kenya to strengthening her mental game. Story.
- The door is open: Alabama held a 15-shot lead late on Thursday, but fell apart coming down the stretch and will take a two-shot lead into Friday's final round at the NCAA Championship. Story.
- It just got interesting: Alabama had a chance to put this one away on Thursday, and couldn't make it happen. And now the likes of USC and Purdue are in striking distance. It's going to be a great Friday in Franklin, Tenn. Story.
- Settling in: Oklahoma's Chirapat Jao-Javanil is a long way from "home," but she has found a new one in Norman, Okla. Story.
- Passing the test: Due to it's welcoming atmosphere, and well-maintained, gallery-friendly course, The Vanderbilt Legends Club ranks high on the "Ringler Championship Feel Test" chart. Story
- Third round, in pictures: View images from the third round of the NCAA Division I Women's Championship at the Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn. Photos.
- 5 Things: Vanderbilt's Marina Alex plays herself back into contention for the individual title, while Alabama will need to avoid its recent front-runner demons. Story.
- Homecoming: Alabama's Brooke Pancake, who got the golf bug at a summer camp at Vanderbilt's Legends Club, returns to her home state having learned her lessons well. She and the Crimson Tide lead the NCAA Championship. Story.
- Bleeding Bruin: After the NCAA Championship, college golf will come to an end for UCLA senior Brianna Do. While she plans on playing the Symetra Tour circuit, Do will "always be a Bruin". Story.
- Second round, in pictures: View images from Round 2 of the Women's NCAA Championship at Vanderbilt Legends Golf Club. Photos.
- Unexpected twist: Portland Rosen led Virginia to the early lead in the opening round of the NCAA Championship, but a disqualification later in the day changed the story for the Cavaliers. Story.
- First round, in pictures: Check out images from Legends Golf Club, the site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Championship. Photos.
- 10 favorite moments: Sure, 'Time Marches On,' but not so fast that we can't hum a few notes while compiling a top-10 list of NCAA Women's Championship favorites, courtesy of our Beth Ann Baldry. Story.
- 5 Things: Is it realistic to think anyone can challenge the likes of UCLA or Alabama? Meanwhile, a couple of newbies held solid in the first round of the NCAA Championship thanks to veteran leadership. Story.
- Coming back: Duke, behind Alejandra Cangrejo's comeback from injury and a late surge by Lindy Duncan, sit only three shots off Alabama's lead. Story.
- Staff picks: The NCAA Women's Championship starts May 22 at Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn. Golfweek's writers made their picks for the individual and team winners. Story.
- 5 Things: Alabama's Brooke Pancake feels right at home at the Legends Club, while Texas coach Martha Richards returns to her old stomping grounds. Story.
- NCAA Women's Championship: Music superstar Vince Gill puts on a private show, while host Vanderbilt attempts to show off its own course as the eyes of the college world descend on Franklin, Tenn. Story.
- Practice round, in pictures: View images of the 2012 NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championship during Tuesday's practice. Photos.
Men's regionals (May 17-19)
- East: Liberty became the first Big South school to win an NCAA Regional. The Flames won the East Regional and Auburn qualified for its first national championship in what was a wild finish Saturday in Greensboro, N.C. Story.
- Southeast: Alabama's Justin Thomas won medalist honors as the Crimson Tide rolled to a 25-stroke victory – the fifth tournament title of the spring for 'Bama – in Athens, Ga. Story.
- Central: Top-seeded USC protected its lead during the final round of the NCAA Central Regional to win the title by one stroke over Oregon Saturday in Ann Arbor, Mich. Story.
- Southwest: After struggling in recent weeks, Washington conquered strong winds and top-ranked Texas to win the Southwest Regional by four strokes Saturday in Norman, Okla. Story. Photos.
- South Central: Chattanooga senior Stephan Jaeger ran away with the individual title at the South Central Regional as his team put together a final-round rally for the team title Saturday in Bowling Green, Ky. Story.
- West: California continued its last-season surge with a dominating victory at the West Regional, using three top-10 finishers to win by six strokes. Story.
- East: Liberty maintained its lead at the East Regional and will take a six-shot lead over surprising SMU into the final round on Saturday. Story.
- Southeast: Behind Bobby Wyatt, Alabama will take a 12-shot lead into Saturday's final round. But the biggest chase will be for the final spot, with New Mexico clear of four others by only four shots. Story.
- Central: Going into the second round of the NCAA Central Regional, USC was in sixth place, but after shooting 12-under 272 in the second round, the Trojans have a one-shot lead. Story.
- Southwest: Chris Williams and his Washington Huskies took on the Oklahoma wind and came out with a four-shot lead over Florida State at the Southwest Regional. Story. Photos. Plus, Ron Balicki says IUPUI is not likely headed to the NCAA Championship in Los Angeles, but it can take solace in a breakthrough season. Story.
- South Central: Texas AM charged up the leaderboard Friday at the South Central regional, and are in position to challenge UCLA for medalist honors in Bowling Green, Ky. Story.
- West: Red-hot California vaulted into the lead at the West Regional on Friday, riding Michael Kim's 6-under 64 to a one-shot margin over San Diego State in Palo Alto, Calif. Story.
- West: San Francisco entered the West Regional as the No. 11 seed, so it was safe to say that the Dons’ opening-round, 7-under 273, was quite the surprise. Story
- Central: The only team to shoot below par, TCU blew away the competition in the first round of the NCAA Central Regional, shooting 6-under 278 to lead by eight strokes over Kent State. Story
- South Central: UCLA seems to fare well when it leaves the West Coast. The Bruins built a quick 10-shot lead during Round 1 of the Southeast Regional as Patrick Cantlay landed in third. Story
- Southwest: Florida State’s team unity and confidence showed in Round 1 of the NCAA Southwest Regional Championship, as the Seminoles share a six-stroke lead with Texas. Story
- East: Liberty leads the NCAA East regional by five strokes, but SMU is making a run for it with the guidance of coach Josh Gregory, who’s in his first year as coach of his alma mater. Story
- Southeast: No. 2-ranked Alabama couldn’t have asked for a better start to the NCAA Southeast regional: Bobby Wyatt shot 66. Player-of-the-year candidate Justin Thomas shot 67. Cory Whitsett and Hunter Hamrick each had 68. Story
- Regional primer: Lance Ringler breaks down the field at each of six regional sites around the country. Story
- Staff picks: Golfweek's college gurus picked the teams they thought would advance through each of six regional sites. Story
- 2012 NCAA Men's Regionals field announced: Teams and individuals were announced for each of six regional championships to be played at sites across the country. Story
Women's regionals (May 10-12)
- East: After a rousing pep talk from coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll, Caroline Powers and her Michigan State teammates put on a show at the East Regional. It was enough to earn a ticket to nationals. Story
- Central: USC won an NCAA-record eighth regional title Saturday at Ohio State’s Scarlet Course. Sophomore Sophia Popov helped lead the charge. Story
- West: UCLA (pictured) and LSU tied for the top spot in the NCAA West Regional, and it amounted to a record victory for each program. Story
- The power of four: Duke head coach Dan Brooks said early in the week his team would need to muster something special to qualify for the national championship. Then he watched it happen. Story
- East: South Carolina’s Katie Burnett last won an individual title at the 2010 East Regional. She’s more than due for another as her team leads the pack in State College, Pa. Story
- Central: Lisa McCloskey and USC extended their Central Regional lead on Friday by 11 shots. The team is chasing its eighth regional win in program history. Story
- West: LSU’s Austin Ernst is in position to earn a regional crown to match last year’s NCAA Championship hardware. Her team is in position to take home the West Regional title, too. Story
- Baldry: Veteran Campbell coach John Crooks might have this year's Cinderella squad. Story
- East: Duke has done some special things with four players in the past. With sophomore Alejandra Cangrejo on the injured list, the Blue Devils are short-handed again this week. Story
- Central: That Doris Chen and her USC teammates are leading the charge at the Central Regional comes as no surprise. The Trojans have fared well at the Central Regional in the past. Story
- West: Sally Watson and her Stanford teammates got hot on the back nine of Colorado National Golf Club to overtake North Carolina for the early lead. Story
- Longshot Longhorns: Nicole Vandermade is hoping to lead Texas to an NCAA Championship berth. Story
- NCAA announces regional fields: UCLA, Alabama and USC, the top-3 programs in Golfweek's rankings, earned No. 1 seeds at three sites around the country. Story
- Staff picks: Golfweek's college gurus picked the eight teams they thought would advance from each region. See them here
- Women: A long stretch of conference championships ended April 29 with California scoring a huge win at the Pac-12 Championship. Other notable wins included Duke in the ACC and Auburn in the SEC. Complete results
- Men: Highlights of the men's conference championships included California winning the Pac-12 title for the first time in program history and Texas A&M beating Texas at the Big 12 Championship. Complete results
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.