Czech Open canceled due to lack of money
Monday, May 21, 2012
PRAGUE, Czech Republic — Organizers say the Czech Open scheduled for August has been canceled due to a lack of funding.
The tournament has been staged for the past three years at the Prosper Golf Resort in the eastern Czech town of Celadna. In 2009, the tournament returned to the Czech Republic for the first time since 1997.
In a statement Friday, organizers said they decided to cancel the event planned for Aug. 16-19 after talks with the European Tour.
They said they still hope to stage the tournament next year for at least three consecutive years.
Oliver Fisher of England won the Czech Open last year for his first European Tour victory.
It's the third European Tour event canceled in 2012 because of financial difficulties.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.