Tracker: Tiger fires 70; Mickelson WDs
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Tiger Woods was a model of steadiness Thursday at the Memorial, making only one mistake (a double bogey) and carding four birdies en route to a 2-under 70 that left him tied for 11th place, four strokes behind leader Scott Stallings, at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio.
PHOTOS: Happy 39th Birthday, Tiger!
Photos from the career of the golf world's most famous player.
Woods had it going late on his first nine holes - he started on No. 10 - but was derailed by three poor shots at the par-4 18th hole, resulting in a double bogey.
Woods took advantage of the par 5s, including a nice up-and-down from a bunker 30 yards in front of the seventh hole, sinking an 8-footer for birdie to get to 2 under.
See how his round unfolded.
• • •
Update No. 24: 6:19 p.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson has withdrawn, citing mental fatigue after an 7-over first round. Elsewhere, Scott Stallings moves into the lead at 6 under, knocking his approach shot to within three feet and tapping in for birdie at No. 18.
• • •
Update No. 23: 6:08 p.m. EDT
Daniel Summerhays had moved back into a 3-way tie for first at 5 under, but a double at No. 15 dropped him to 3 under. Filling the spot vacated by Summerhays is Erik Compton, who moved to 5 under after three straight birdies and has two holes left.
• • •
Update No. 22: 5:55 p.m. EDT
Scott Stallings birdies No. 16 for his second straight birdie and is now tied with Spencer Levin and Daniel Summerhays, who just birdied No 15, for the lead at 5 under. Elsewhere, the featured group of the afternoon of Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler and Phil Mickelson is in the clubhouse. Watson and Mickelson bogeyed the par-4 18th to finish at 3 over and 7 over, respectively. Fowler finished at 1 under.
• • •
Update No. 21: 5:40 p.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson's horrible round continues as Lefty ran his 6-foot par putt four feet past the hole en route to a bogey at the par-4 17th. Mickelson has four bogeys and a double in his last six holes and is at 6 over with one hole left - the tough No. 18. Elsewhere, Spencer Levin, already in the clubhouse, now is the lone leader again at 5 under after Daniel Summerhays falls back to 4 under with Scott Stallings.
• • •
Update No. 20: 5:23 p.m. EDT
Both Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson find the water on the the par-3 16th while Rickie Fowler finds the back bunker. While Fowler saves par from nine feet and Watson makes a 7-footer for bogey, Mickelson two-putts for double bogey, falling to 5 over. Bubba drops to 2 over and Fowler remains at 1 under with two holes left. Elsewhere, Spencer Levin closes his round with a bogey at No. 18 and falls into a tie for first with Daniel Summerhays at 5 under.
• • •
Update No. 19: 5:11 p.m. EDT
Rickie Fowler bogeys the par-5 15th, which also serves disappointment to Phil Mickelson, who just misses a 10-foot right-to-left birdie putt by leaving it a little right. Fowler (1 under), Mickelson (3 over) and Bubba Watson (1 over) have combined for six bogeys on the back nine. Elsewhere, Daniel Summerhays moved to 5 under, one shot back of leader Spencer Levin, who is in trouble at No. 18. Adam Scott is back to 2 under with two holes left.
• • •
Update No. 18: 4:58 p.m. EDT
After a birdie on the par-3 eighth, Spencer Levin has started to pull away. Levin sits at 6 under - two shots clear of second-place Daniel Summerhays - with one hole left.
• • •
Update No. 17: 4:47 p.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson continues to struggle. Lefty just made his third consecutive bogey, most recently at the par-4 14th. He is six shots back with four holes to go. Not struggling is Spencer Levin, who eagled the par-5 7th to move into the lead all by himself at 5 under. Levin, who teed off on the back, is 4 under on the front nine and has two holes remaining in his first round.
• • •
Update No. 16: 4:38 p.m. EDT
Scott Stallings falls back into a nine-way tie for first at 3 under after a bogey at the par-3 12th. Also in a share for the lead are Ernie Els, Spencer Levin and Daniel Summerhays, all of whom recently moved to 3 under.
• • •
Update No. 15: 4:33 p.m. EDT
Bubba Watson continues his slide, bogeying the par-4 13th after missing a left-to-right 9-footer for par. Watson, who has two bogeys on the back nine, falls to 1 over. Also struggling on No. 13 was Phil Mickelson, who chunked his third shot out of the bunker and then narrowly missed a 17-yard chip from the intermediate rough to save par. Mickelson drops back to 2 over. RIckie Fowler remains at 2 under along with Steve Stricker, who bogeyed No. 13, and nine others.
• • •
Update No. 14: 4:23 p.m. EDT
We no longer have a 10-way tie for the lead. Scott Stallings left his eagle putt on the par-5 11th about two feet short, but would make birdie to move into sole possession of first at 4 under. Ryan Moore and David Hearn dropped back to 2 under.
• • •
Update No. 13: 4:14 p.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson drops below even par with a bogey at the par-3 12th. Mickelson found the back bunker and his second shot ran past the hole and just into the surrounding rough. His third shot with a wedge missed about a foot left and, with the same wedge, he tapped in the bogey.
• • •
Update No. 12: 4:01 p.m. EDT
The 567-yard, par-5 11th proved beneficiary to Rickie Fowler and Phil Mickelson, yet costly for their playing partner Bubba Watson. Fowler made an 18-foot eagle putt to move to within one of the lead at 2 under while Mickelson drained a birdie putt to move back to even. Watson found the water on his second shot and failed to save par, carding his first bogey of the day. The number of players at 3 under moves to 10 as Brandt Snedeker joins the list of co-leaders.
• • •
Update No. 11: 3:51 p.m. EDT
Perhaps no two players on the course right now are as hot as Steve Stricker and Hunter Mahan. Stricker has birdied four of his past four holes to move into a share of the lead at 3 under through 11 hoels. Mahan, who was 2 over through three holes to begin the day, has also birdied four of his past five holes to move to 2 under through 11 holes. Going the opposite direction of Mahan, one-time leader Nicolas Colsaerts is 1 over.
• • •
Update No. 10: 3:32 p.m. EDT
Defending champion Steve Stricker is making a move. Stricker, who shot 16 under to win last year, is a 2 under through 10 holes. Also moving to 2 under is Brandt Snedeker, who made a 48-foot birdie putt at No. 1 to pull back within one of the lead. Snedeker has five birdies and three bogeys through 10 holes.
• • •
Update No. 9: 3:21 p.m. EDT
The par-4 18th ended Adam Scott's run atop the leaderboard. Scott doubled the hole to fall back to 1 under. Just as Scott dropped out of the lead, Scott Stallings and Ryan Moore joined six others in first at 3 under. Elsewhere, Phil Mickelson notched his first birdie of the day at the par-4 ninth to move to 1 over. Rickie Fowler bogeyed the hole to move back to even.
• • •
Update No. 8: 3:10 p.m. EDT
Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler both found the bunker on their tee shot at the 185-yard, par-3 eighth. But both were able to get up-and-down to save par. Mickelson had about a 6-footer that he drained. The third member of the group, Bubba Watson, also made par, to remain at 1 under along with Fowler. Lefty is still 2 over. Elsewhere, Scott Piercy got reacquainted with the lead, moving back to a share of first at 3 under.
• • •
Update No. 7: 2:56 p.m. EDT
While Brandt Snedeker and Scott Piercy fall back to 2 under after bogeys on No. 17 and No. 6, respectively, Adam Scott remains in a tie for the lead after making par on his eighth hole of the day - the par-4 17th. Elsewhere, Rickie Fowler is back at 1 under after making birdie on the par-5 7th. Also, David Hearn joins Scott at 3 under. Hearn has five birdies through 11 holes. Hunter Mahan has two straight birdies on No. 7 and No. 8 to pull back to even.
• • •
Update No. 6: 2:36 p.m. EDT
Following what has become somewhat of a trend this afternoon, Nicolas Colsaerts bogeys his next hole after moving into a share of the lead. Colsaerts bogeyed the par-3 eighth after three consecutive birdies. Elsewhere, Adam Scott, Brandt Snedeker and Scott Piercy have all moved to 3 under. Scott has birdied two straight holes, including, most recently, the par-3 16th. Scott has three birdies in seven holes.
• • •
Update No. 5: 2:29 p.m. EDT
Bubba Watson moves to 1 under after his birdie at the par-5 fifth hole. Watson hit his second shot to about eight yards of the green and then chipped to within three feet. Elsewhere, Nicolas Colsaerts has moved into a share for the lead at 3 under. Adam Scott is 2 under through six holes.
• • •
Update No. 4: 2:18 p.m. EDT
Spencer Levin strung together birdies at the par-4 14th and par-5 15th to grab a share of the lead at 3 under. But Levin's stay at the top of the leaderboard was short-lived as he doubled the par-3 16th. Elsewhere, Rickie Fowler missed about a 12-foot putt to save par at the par-3 fourth hole and bogeyed to fall back to even. Still, some big names still out on the course remain under par, including Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott and Ernie Els, who are all 1 under on the round.
• • •
Update No. 3: 1:55 p.m. EDT
Rickie Fowler becomes the first person in his pairing to make a birdie after sticking his approach shot to within seven feet on the par-4 third hole. He made the putt to move to 1 under - two shots back of the leaders: Blake Adams, Andres Romero, Aaron Baddeley and Rory Sabbatini - all of whom are finished for the day.
• • •
Update No. 2: 1:43 p.m. EDT
The afternoon's featured group of Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler is through two holes as well. While Watson and Fowler are even, Mickelson sits at 2 over after running into trouble at No. 2. Mickelson pulled his tee shot out of bounds and sat some 110 yards out after his third shot. He finished the 455-yard par-4 hole with a double bogey.
• • •
Update No. 1: 1:32 p.m. EDT
The afternoon groups have started to tee off at the Memorial and among those starting strong is a pair of Brandts - Brandt Snedeker and Brandt Jobe. Snedeker has birdied his first two holes - the par-4 10th and the par-5 11th - to move to 2 under. Jobe is 2 under through four, including birdies on 11 and the par-4 13th.
• • •
No. 9, Par 4, 412 yards
Tiger's final hole is a dangerous one, derailing Trevor Immelman's early run with a double-bogey.
• Off the tee: Tiger has plenty of fairway to work with and takes it up the left side to give himself a nice angle at the pin, which is in the extreme front right.
• Approach shot: Tiger is a bit aggressive and fades a bit past the flag and lands in the intermediate cut of rough just off the right side of the green.
• Around the green: Tiger nearly holes his shot from just off the green, leaving it four inches short. He taps in to cap off an impressive 2-under 70, currently one shot off the lead.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under (round complete)
• Elsewhere on the course: Rory McIlroy capped an improbable comeback from three water balls and a quadruple-bogey 7 to get back to red numbers with a birdie at No. 18 and is in the clubhouse at 1 under, two shots off the five-way tie for the lead. Luke Donald is also at 1 under.
• • •
No. 8, Par 3, 185 yards
Tiger, now one shot off the lead at 2 under, has done a better job on the par 5s today, playing them at 2 under. He's also done well to save par after hitting two bunkers on par 3s.
• Off the tee: Tiger launches one that tracks toward the back-left hole location and comes to rest about nine feet under the hole.
• On the green: Tiger is a bit aggressive on his birdie attempt and knocks it two feet past, but taps that in for a par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under (thru 17 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Aaron Baddeley has moved to 3 under (thru 15 holes) to tie Blake Adams and Andres Romero and two others for the lead. Adams and Romero are in the clubhouse.
• • •
No. 7, Par 5, 563 yards
Tiger heads to his final par 5 of the day, a double-dogleg that is not reachable for most players.
• Off the tee: Tiger hammers his tee ball, but finds the right rough and will have around 250 yards to the pin, which is located in the middle of the green.
• Second shot: Tiger tries to go for it, but can't get enough on it to carry a bunker about 30 yards in front of the green. He'll have to get up-and-down from there for birdie.
• Third shot: Tiger hits a wonderful about eight feet beyond the pin and he'll have a look at birdie.
• On the green: Tiger drains the 8-footer for a birdie and moves to 2 under.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under (thru 16 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Luke Donald birdied No. 7 in front of Tiger to get to 1 under.
• • •
No. 6, Par 4, 447 yards
Tiger, now T-7 at 1 under, approaches the 6th hole that requires precision off the tee, with bunkers lining the left and a bunker on the right that can come into play if the ball fades too much.
• Off the tee: Tiger hammers his tee shot, but it finds that right-hand bunker and he'll have a tough shot over water to the extreme left pin location.
• Approach shot: Tiger plays his sand shot perfectly, landing it nearly pin-high and sets up a 15-footer for birdie.
• On the green: Tiger's slick birdie attempt runs about three feet past, but makes the comebacker for par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under (thru 15 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Considering he had three water balls on his front nine and a quadruple-bogey 7, Rory McIlroy being back at even par is quickly becoming the story of the morning. Playing in the group ahead of Tiger, McIlroy has a couple of scoring opportunities ahead of him to potentially get into the red.
• • •
No. 5, Par 5, 527 yards
Tiger will now enter a stretch where he can get into red figures, approaching the first of two pars 5s over his next three holes.
• Off the tee: With the extreme dogleg right, Tiger choose to cut the corner and does so beautifully, leaving himself a little more than 200 yards to the front flag.
• Second shot: Taking dead aim at the extreme front pin, Tiger comes up a couple of yards short of the green, but has an easy chip to the hole.
• Around the green: Tiger's third shot comes up about a foot short of the cup, setting up a tap-in birdie to move back into red figures.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under (thru 14 holes)
Elsewhere on the course: Robert Garrigus has moved out front by himself at 4 under, while Rory McIlroy eagled the 5th hole to get back to even par. Luke Donald birdied No. 3 to also get back to even.
• • •
No. 4, Par 3, 200 yards
There is now a five-way tie for the lead, with Bud Cauley dropping a shot at No. 16 and Andrew Romero joining the group at 3 under. Meanwhile, Tiger is three back and tied for 14th.
• Off the tee: Playing the first non-par 4 of his final nine holes, Tiger hits a nice shot to hole-high and about 20 feet right of the flag.
• On the green: Tiger leaves his birdie attempt about 18 inches short and settles for a two-putt par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 13 holes)
• • •
No. 3, Par 4, 401 yards
This is the last of the three opening par 4s and Tiger will get to a pair of scoring holes (par 5s) over the next four holes.
• Off the tee: With plenty of fairway to hit to, and having to sit back a bit because of a creek that lines the end of the fairway, Tiger hits less-than-driver into the middle and will have 140 yards to the pin.
• Approach shot: Tiger takes dead aim at the flag, going right over the lake and landing nine feet under the pin.
• On the green: Tiger can't find the right line on his birdie attempt, hitting it two feet past and settles for an easy par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 12 holes)
• • •
No. 2, Par 4, 455 yards
Outside of the 18th, Tiger seems to be on top of his game on Thursday, with his ball-striking looking solid and his putter having eyes for the hole.
• Off the tee: Tiger will need to avoid the right side, as the fairway and green are lined by a creek after 100 yards from the tee. Outside of the creek, the hole is very accessible and straight. But Tiger overcompensates a bit and finds the left rough, and is quite short, leaving himself more than 200 yards to the front-right pin location.
• Approach shot: Hitting out of the rough and with a bunker sitting right in front of the flag, Tiger takes his approach out to the left and comes up short of the green, but should have an easy chip across the green to try to get up-and-down for par.
• Around the green: Tiger plays a nice shot to about six feet, and he'll look for a fourth one-putt to save par.
• On the green: And he does it again, keeping himself at even par with another nice up-and-down for par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 11 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Blake Adams and Robert Garrigus have both moved to 3 under, one shot behind Bud Cauley. There are some big numbers on the course right now, with Boo Weekley taking up the rear at 7 over.
• • •
No. 1, Par 4, 470 yards
After making a mess of the par-4 18th hole due to three-straight wayward shots, Tiger will move to Muirfield's first hole, now four shots back of Bud Cauley and in a tie for 16th at even par.
• Off the tee: Hitting from an elevated tee box, Tiger finds another fairway and will have a nice attack position from the right side of the fairway, about 175 yards to the back-left pin.
• Approach shot: Tiger hits a beautiful shot that lands softly on the green, about 15 feet under the hole. Answering his double with a birdie would show progress for Tiger, who has compounded mistakes with others in recent weeks.
• On the green: Tiger nearly gets it done, leaving his birdie putt on the lip, but it won't fall. He settles for a two-putt par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 10 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Tiger wasn't alone with his troubles on 18, as Luke Donald also double-bogeyed the hole to fall to 1 over for the tournament. Rory McIlroy remains at 3 over with pars at Nos. 18 and 1.
• • •
No. 18, Par 4, 444 yards
Tiger has three-one putts in his first eight holes, moving himself to 2 under and tied with five others one back of Bud Cauley.
• Off the tee: The 18th hole has plenty of fairway, but anything wayward could find a creek (on the left) or a plethora of bunkers on the right. And he pushes his tee ball a bit too far right and finds one of those bunkers, leaving himself about 160 yards to the green. It is his second missed fairway on his front nine.
• Approach shot: Tiger pulls his second shot to the left and has about 30 yards left to the green.
• Around the green: Tiger hits his third shot into a greenside bunker and has about 70 feet to the pin. His bunker shot comes to rest about 11 feet away, which he'll have for bogey.
• On the green: Tiger's bogey putt settles two feet to the right of the cup and he picks up double-bogey.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 9 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Rory McIlroy (3 over thru nine holes) isn't the only big name to be struggling on Thursday morning, with Webb Simpson also at 3 over (thru 10) and Fred Couples at 2 over (thru 8).
• • •
No. 17, Par 4, 478 yards
Tiger's putter seems to be treating him well thus far on Thursday, with two nice one-putts to keep him from any bogeys over the first seven holes.
• Off the tee: Considered to be one of Muirfield's toughest holes, it is important to stay in play and take what the hole will give you. Tiger plays less-than-driver off the tee and hits another fairway (he has only missed one through 8 holes).
• Approach shot: Tiger hits a majestic shot to about 13 feet, hitting his fifth green in regulation over his first eight holes.
• On the green: Tiger drains the mid-range putt for birdie and now is only one shot off the lead.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under (thru 8 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Trevor Immelman just ran into his first problem of the day, picking up double-bogey on No. 9 to fall back to 2 under, now one shot back of Bud Cauley. Meanwhile, Rory McIlroy gives back another shot, picking up bogey at No. 17. McIlroy is 3 over thru eight holes.
• • •
No. 16, Par 3, 215 yards
Tiger had some problems at his last par 3, but was able to recover with a nice 9-footer to save par.
• Off the tee: Well, Tiger will have to do it again. With a green that is lined with water on the left and a big bunker on the right, Tiger finds the bunker in front of the green and he'll have to get up-and-down to stay under par.
• Around the green: From the back of the bunker, Tiger plays a nice sand shot to about six feet left of the hole, which he'll have for par.
• On the green: And Tiger drains the putt for another sand save.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under (thru 7 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Former Masters champ Trevor Immelman is hot early, moving to 4 under through eight holes on the front. He is two shots clear of Bud Cauley, Kelly Kraft and Jason Day.
• • •
No. 15, Par 5, 529 yards
Tiger will have another chance to score at a par 5, having left an easy chip short at the 11th that resulted in a two-putt par.
• Off the tee: Tiger slams his tee shot right down the center of the fairway, leaving himself a little more than 220 yards to the back left pin location. The hole is very straight and uncomplicated, especially if you go straight off the tee.
• Second shot: Tiger launches a beautiful shot that lands on the green and settles about 20 feet from the cup, leaving himself an eagle putt from the right of the hole.
• On the green: Tiger gives his eagle putt and good run, but it settles to the right and about two feet away. He knocks that in to move into red numbers for the first time on Thursday.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under (thru 6 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Rory McIlroy has back-to-back birdies at Nos. 14 and 15 to get back to 2 over.
• • •
No. 14, Par 4, 363 yards
While it is incredibly early in the tournament, a pair of young stars are tied atop the leaderboard, with Bud Cauley and Kelly Kraft among six players at 2 under. Tiger is T-13 at even par.
• Off the tee: Tiger is faced with more thoughts of water off the tee, with a creek cutting into the fairway at about 245 yards. And Tiger flirts with the water, but manages to hold up in the intermediate cut of rough and leaves himself about 75 yards to the green. It is Tiger's first missed fairway of the day.
• Approach shot: Tiger, staring a front-hole location, lands his short wedge shot on the front of the green, leaving himself about 30 feet for birdie.
• On the green: Tiger gives his birdie try a go, but it comes to rest about two feet left of the cup and he settles for another par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 5 holes)
• Elsehwere on the course: Rory McIlroy got a stroke back with a birdie at No. 14, and now sits at 3 over for the tournament. Meanwhile, top-ranked Luke Donald is holding steady at 1 under thru five holes.
• • •
No. 13, Par 4, 455 yards
The par save on No. 12 has to feel good for Tiger, recovering from a poor tee shot unlike Rory McIlroy in front of hm.
• Off the tee: The landing area is a bit narrow at this downhill par 4, with the right side being ideal for a chance to attack the green. Tiger takes less-than-driver and finds his third fairway of the day, narrowly missing a bunker on the left and will have a tough angle to the back-right pin location.
• Approach shot: Tiger just clears the bunker on the left side of the green and comes to rest in the intermediate cut of rough, about 30 feet from the hole.
• Around the green: Tiger chips to about six feet, which he'll have for a second-straight par save.
• On the green: Tiger makes another nice par save, picking up his fourth-straight par to start the day.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 4 holes)
• • •
No. 12, Par 3, 184 yards
After a long delay due to the group in front of them, Tiger moves to his first par 3 of the day, a picturesque hole that is guarded by the course's largest lake, as well as bunkers in the front right and back left.
• Off the tee: The pin is tucked on the far right and near the front, making this tee shot a bit more nerve-wracking because of the water. Tiger plays a bit too much club and finds the back bunker, and will be faced with a delicate sand shot back down the green.
• Around the green: Tiger flirts with disaster, taking dead aim at the pin, but comes to rest about nine feet below the hole, which he'll have to save par.
• On the green: Tiger buries the par putt to limit any damage at the tough par 3.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 3 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: The reason for the delay? Rory McIlroy made a mess of the hole in front of Tiger, going into the back bunker, pitching out and into the water and having to go back to a drop zone in front of the tee box for his fourth shot. McIlroy finishes the hole with a quadruple-bogey 7.
• • •
No. 11, Par 5, 567 yards
Tiger heads to his first par 5 of the day. Tiger has struggled on the scoring holes in recent weeks, particularly at the Masters and in missing the cut at Wells Fargo.
• Off the tee: Tiger has to be careful here at the downhill par 5. With a creek running diagonally across the fairway at 320 yards, most players must keep their tee ball to the right of the creek. And Tiger hits his second-straight fairway, smacking it up the right side and will have about 250 yards to take a shot at the green in two.
• Second shot: Another shot where Tiger has to use some caution, with the creek continuing to run along the left side of the fairway and in front of the green. Tiger hammers his second shot just off the back of the green and has about 40 feet to the hole.
• Around the green: Tiger won't be happy with his third shot, leaving it about 10 feet short of the cup, which he'll have for birdie.
• On the green: Tiger misses a golden opportunity, missing his birdie attempt about six inches to the left and he settles for a disappointing par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 2 holes)
• Elsewhere on the course: Rory McIlroy, who has missed two-straight cuts, puts his second shot at No. 11 in the hazard, but manages to get up-and-down for par in the group ahead of Tiger.
• • •
No. 10, Par 4, 471 yards
The temperatures are hovering around 60 degrees this morning in Dublin, Ohio, with a very light breeze of about 5 mph. Temperatures will creep into the mid-70s this afternoon, with little chance of rain or wind - creating scoring opportunities for the entire field. Check out when your favorite player will tee off here.
• Off the tee: It will be important for Tiger to keep the ball in play today, especially on some of the tough par 4s. He starts the day nicely, striping it down the center of the fairway to leave himself 162 yards to the back-left pin location.
• Approach shot: Tiger plays a beautiful shot to about 13 feet right of the pin to set up an early birdie opportunity at the uphill par 4.
• On the green: Tiger leaves his birdie putt short and a bit right, but knocks in a two-footer for par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: Even (thru 1 hole)
• Elsewhere on the course: Luke Donald, back to World No. 1, opens his day with a 45-foot birdie.