Men's Mid-Week Report: Razorbacks win at Olympia
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Welcome to Golfweek’s Mid-Week Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest college news and give you a quick glance at what to look ahead to this weekend.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now...
1. Arkansas: The Razorbacks bounced back from an 11th-place finish at the Ping/Golfweek Preview with a dominant victory at the Olympia Fields Intercollegiate.
2. Liberty: The Flames won by 24 shots at the Rees Jones Invitational. Even better? The Flames had four of the top five finishers on the leaderboard. Niklas Lindstrom won by six shots, and three of his teammates tied for second.
3. Florida: The Gators got off to a good start this season, finishing second at Olympia Fields after winning by two dozen shots in their season opener at Kiawah Island’s Ocean Course.
4. Stanford: The Cardinal were fourth at Olympia Fields. Not bad, considering that Andrew Yun is at Q-School and Cameron Wilson, who qualified for this year’s U.S. Open, was out with a back injury. Stanford head coach Conrad Ray expects Wilson back soon, and if Yun rejoins the lineup, the Cardinal could be a threat.
5. Florida Gulf Coast: The Eagles’ victory at their home event, the Cobra-Puma Invitational, couldn’t have come at a better time. FGCU had started the season by finishing second-to-last at the Golfweek Conference Challenge and last at the St. Mary’s Intercollegiate. FGCU shot 27 under at the Cobra-Puma to finish 19 shots ahead of second-place Penn State.
1. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: The Indiana native felt right at home at Olympia Fields near Chicago, and it showed. He defended his title with a five-shot victory. Rodgers is back on track after some struggles early this summer.
2. Gavin Green, New Mexico: Green, a sophomore from Malaysia, is one of the country’s longest hitters. He’s also on quite the hot streak. Green followed a second-place finish at the Ping/Golfweek Preview with victory at the William H. Tucker.
3. Jace Long, Missouri: Long is back in this space after yet another victory. He’s 3-for-3 this season after winning the Champs/Patriot Intercollegiate. Long also won his stage of PGA Tour Q-School pre-qualifying during that span. He has a 68.6 scoring average in nine rounds, and has broken 70 seven times.
4. Nick Losole, Northwestern: The Northwestern senior finished second at Olympia Fields, his third consecutive top-10 to start the season. He also was third at Inverness and eighth at the Windon.
5. Nathan Anderson, North Dakota State: Senior siblings Nathan Anderson and Amy Anderson won individual titles, and the North Dakota State men's and women's golf teams swept the Jackrabbit Fall Invitational on Oct. 1. The victory was Nathan’s second victory in three starts this year.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings fared:
1. California: DNP
2. SMU: 9th, Olympia Fields Intercollegiate
3. Texas: DNP
4. Florida: 2nd, Olympia Fields Intercollegiate
5. Washington: DNP
• • •
1. Max Homa, Cal: DNP
2. Brandon Stone, Texas: DNP
3. John Callahan, Northwestern: Won, Windon Memorial
4. Michael Kim, Cal: DNP
5. Stephen Behr, Clemson: T-7, Olympia Fields
• • •
Olympia Fields (Arkansas; Patrick Rodgers, Stanford)
Champ/Patriot Intercollegiate (Missouri; Jace Long, Missouri)
William H. Tucker Invitational (New Mexico; Gavin Green, New Mexico)
• • •
This week’s schedule
Brickyard Collegiate Championship
The field: Air Force, Augusta State, Chattanooga, College of Charleston, Colorado State, Georgia, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Mercer, North Florida, Oklahoma, Princeton, South Florida, Virginia Tech.
The skinny: Georgia, No. 7 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings, and Preview co-champs Georgia Tech highlight the field. Virginia Tech faces its strongest field of the year after winning its first two starts.
• • •
David Toms Intercollegiate
The University Club, Baton Rouge, La.
The field: Alabama-Birmingham, Lamar, Louisiana-Lafayette, LSU, Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Alabama, Tulsa.
The skinny: LSU is playing a home game after a fourth-place finish at the Carpet Capital and victory at the Shoal Creek Intercollegiate, where Curtis Thompson and Stewart Jolly were co-medalists.
• • •
Jack Nicklaus Invitational
Muirfield Village Golf Club, Dublin, Ohio
The field: Arkansas, BYU, Central Florida, Kent State, Kentucky, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Purdue, San Diego, UNLV, Vanderbilt.
The skinny: The host Buckeyes have finished no worse than third this season and are coming off victory at the Windon Intercollegiate. Arkansas arrives at Muirfield Village after a dominating victory at Olympia Fields. Muirfield Village is the
annual host to the Memorial, and will host the 2013 Presidents Cup.
• • •
Pumpkin Ridge GC (Witch Hollow), North Plains, Ore.
The field: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State
The skinny: Top-ranked Cal, the defending Pac-12 champion, highlights the field. Pumpkin Ridge may be best known as the site of Tiger Woods’ last U.S. Amateur victory. The Pac-12 Championship is headed for an even more historic site, the George C. Thomas-designed Los Angeles Country Club, which will host the 2017 Walker Cup.