Men's Mid-Week Report: Cal continues its hot start
Welcome to Golfweek’s Mid-Week Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest college news and give you a quick glance at what to look ahead to this weekend.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now...
1. Cal: Could the Golden Bears go undefeated in the fall? Their win at the Pac-12 Preview was their third in a row to start the season. They have two events remaining before the break, hosting the Alister Mackenzie Invitational before flying cross-country for the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational.
2. Georgia: The Bulldogs are No. 5 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings after a victory at the Brickyard Intercollegiate. An even better sign? Sam Straka shared medalist honors while playing as an individual.
3. LSU: The Tigers won their second consecutive event at the David Toms Intercollegiate. Three Tigers have claimed medalist honors in those two tournaments, both of which were named for major champions. Curtis Thompson and Stewart Jolly won at Graeme McDowell/Shoal Creek Invitational, while Andrew Presley was the winner at the Toms.
4. Washington: The No. 3 Huskies were seven shots behind Cal at the Pac-12 Preview, a good showing with Chris Williams at the World Amateur Team Championship in Turkey. Williams was runner-up at the WATC, leading the USA to victory.
5. Ball State: Not the deepest field at the Firestone Invitational, but the No. 56 Cardinals finished 13 shots ahead of 21st-ranked St. Mary’s. That’s a good head-to-head win come postseason time.
• • •
1. Jonathan Grey, Georgia State: The 6-foot-5 freshman from Kent, England, has opened his collegiate career with two consecutive victories. He shared the trophy at the Brickyard Intercollegiate and won the Mason Rudolph.
2. Trevor Simsby, Washington: Simsby has become a strong complement to the Huskies’ two leaders, Chris Williams and Cheng-Tsung Pan. He won the Pac-12 Preview after finishing second at the Husky Invitational. Pan finished third at the Pac-12 Preview for his third consecutive top-3 finish to open the season. He won the Husky and was runner-up at the Preview.
3. Greg Eason, Central Florida: The Jack Nicklaus Invitational was shortened to two rounds, but Eason dominated them both. He won by six shots with a 4-under 140 total (70-70) at Muirfield Village Golf Club, the home of the Memorial.
4. Michael Kim, Cal: The sophomore All-American has started with three consecutive top-10s. His sixth-place finish at the Pac-12 Preview comes after a 10th-place showing at the Ping-Golfweek Preview and runner-up at the Gopher Invitational. Even better, he was one of four Bears named to the 16-person Walker Cup practice squad. http://golfweek.com/news/2012/oct/02/16-players-named-walker-cup-practice-session/
5. David Boote, Stanford: The freshman from Surrey, England, has opened his career with two consecutive top-10s, at the Olympia Fields Intercollegiate (T-7) and Pac-12 Preview (T-3).
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings fared:
1. California: Won, Pac-12 Preview
2. Texas: DNP
3. Washington: 2nd, Pac-12 Preview
4. UCLA: 4th, Pac-12 Preview
5. Georgia: Won, Brickyard Collegiate Championship
• • •
1. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: T-22, Pac-12 Preview
2. Brandon Stone, Texas: T-13, World Amateur Team Championship
3. Max Homa, Cal: T-14, Pac-12 Preview
4. Albin Choi, North Carolina State: T-33, World Amateur Team Championship
5. Michael Kim, Cal: T-6, Pac-12 Preview
• • •
Tournament results (team winner; individual winner)
• Pac-12 Preview (Cal; Trevor Simsby, Washington). Results.
• Jack Nicklaus Invitational (Kent State; Greg Eason, UCF). Results.
• David Toms Intercollegiate (LSU; Andrew Presley, LSU). Results.
• Brickyard Collegiate (Georgia; Jonathan Grey, Georgia State/Sam Straka, Georgia). Results.
• • •
This week’s schedule
Bank of Tennessee at Blackthorn
Blackthorn Club, Jonesborough, Tenn.
The field: Army, Coastal Carolina, East Tennessee State, Furman, Memphis, Missouri, Penn State, Pepperdine, Tennessee, UNC Wilmington, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest.
The skinny: Jace Long and the Missouri Tigers will each look for a fourth consecutive victory to start the season.
• • •
Rod Myers Invitational
Duke Golf Club, Durham, N.C.
The field: Baylor, Charlotte, Duke, East Carolina, Iowa, Liberty, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Northwestern, Pacific, Tulsa.
The skinny: Host Duke is off to a strong start this year, starting the season with a victory at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate and fourth-place finish at Olympia Fields.
• • •
Alister Mackenzie Invitational
The Meadow Club, Fairfax, Calif.
The field: Arizona State, BYU, Cal, Colorado, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Oregon State, San Diego State, San Francisco, San Jose State, UC Davis, Wichita State
The skinny: Host Cal is looking for its fourth consecutive victory to start the season.
• • •
Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate
Old Overton Golf Club, Birmingham, Ala.
The field: Alabama, Auburn, Alabama-Birmingham, Florida, Clemson, UNLV, Minnesota, Mississippi State, South Alabama, Middle Tennessee State, Samford, West Florida
The skinny: Alabama, the preseason, No. 1 team, hosts a strong field that includes Auburn, Florida, Clemson and UNLV.