Ryder Cup: Saturday afternoon four-ball predictions
MEDINAH, Ill. -- The pairings have been announced for Saturday afternoon's four-ball sessions, including the return of Tiger Woods to the course.
Our staff of experts makes their predictions . . .
• • •
Dustin Johnson-Matt Kuchar vs. Nicolas Colsaerts-Paul Lawrie
• SEAN MARTIN: D. Johnson-Kuchar def. Nicolas Colsaerts-Paul Lawrie, 3 and 2
Johnson and Kuchar were impressive Friday afternoon. I expect that to continue.
• JEFF BABINEAU: Kuchar/D. Johnson def. Colsaerts/Lawrie, 3 and 2
Americans are fresh and ready to go, and the Belgian's putter has cooled
• ALEX MICELI: Johnson-Kuchar def. Colsaerts-Lawrie, 3 and 2
Johnson and Kuchar have nothing to lose and Europe is clearly under the gun after a difficult morning.
• NICK MASUDA: Johnson-Kuchar def. Colsaerts-Lawrie, 4 and 3
It might even be worse than that. Colsaerts came down to earth and Lawrie was awful on Friday.
• • •
Bubba Watson-Webb Simpson vs. Justin Rose-Francesco Molinari
• SEAN MARTIN: Watson-Simpson def. Rose-Molinari, 2 and 1
The Americans will rebound from Saturday morning's four-balls loss.
• JEFF BABINEAU: Watson-Simpson def. Rose-Molinari, 4 and 3
U.S. side will shake off morning loss and get back to the free-swinging four-ball format
• ALEX MICELI: Watson-Simpson def. Rose-Molinari, 4 and 3
Simpson didn’t putt very well in the morning foursomes, but the length and a little lunch should loosen up the pair.
• NICK MASUDA: Watson-Simpson def. Rose-Molinari, 2 and 1
Rose and Molinari will stick around, but I still think the U.S. duo is going to pick up the point.
• • •
Tiger Woods-Steve Stricker vs. Sergio Garcia-Luke Donald
• SEAN MARTIN: Woods-Stricker def. Garcia-Donald, 3 and 1
It's been a tough Ryder Cup for two of Europe's leading men.
• JEFF BABINEAU: Stricker-Woods def. Garcia-Donald, 5 and 4
If going 0-3 would be brutal, it only would be magnified losing to El Nino. Won't happen.
• ALEX MICELI: Woods-Stricker def. Garcia-Donald, 2 and 1
Stricker could not play any worse than yesterday. Garcia and Donald have looked less than stellar and both played in the morning.
• NICK MASUDA: Woods-Stricker def. Garcia-Donald, 4 and 3
A blowout here. Tiger won't like being sat out and he'll have something to prove. Garcia and Donald have not been good thus far.
• • •
Jason Dufner-Zach Johnson vs. Rory McIlroy-Ian Poulter
•SEAN MARTIN: Dufner-Z. Johnson def. McIlroy-Poulter, 3 and 2
This American team has worked out well, while McIlroy hasn't met expectations this week.
• JEFF BABINEAU: McIlroy-Poulter def. Dufner-Z. Johnson, 1 up
Rory is in a funk, but the energetic Poulter, the heart of this Euro team, will inspire him.
• ALEX MICELI: McIlroy-Poulter def. Dufner-Z. Johnson, 3 and 2
Emotion will carry both the Europeans. They look like the only ones that seem to care and have both played well in the matches.
• NICK MASUDA: McIlroy-Poulter def. Dufner-Z. Johnson, 1 up
I am torn on this one, I actually think that Dufner and Johnson could very well win because everyone is expecting them to get smoked. I would have rested McIlroy.