FedEx Cup: Day 1 of bubble watch at the Wyndham
The Wyndham Championship marks the final opportunity for players to play their way into the FedEx Cup playoffs, which begin next week at the Barclays.
The top 125 get into the first playoff event, with the top 100 after that moving on to the Deustche Bank Championship. The top 75 then advance to the BMW Championship before the top 30 qualify for the season-ending Tour Championship.
There are many players in the Wyndham field in Greensboro, N.C., who are safely in the playoffs – such as Jordan Spieth, Brandt Snedeker and Bill Haas. For them, it’s just about improving their standing. But for others, it’s either finish strong or go home.
Ross Fisher, who holds a share of the first-round lead, entered this week at No. 162 in the FedEx Cup standings. With a win, he’s projected to move up to No. 56. Trevor Immelman, who is tied for third at 5 under, is projected at No. 126 after the first round. He’ll either need to remain T-3 and hope for some help, or finish higher to ensure himself a spot in the Barclays.
Here’s a look at the how some other players on the bubble fared Thursday at Sedgefield Country Club (FedEx Cup rank entering the week in parentheses):
• Aaron Baddeley (No. 118): 5 over, T-144
• Charlie Wi (No. 119): 2 under, T-34
• George McNeill (No. 120): 1 under, T-52
• Scott Langley (No. 121): 3 under, T-16
• Greg Chalmers (No. 122): 1 under, T-52
• Stuart Appleby (No. 123): 4 under, T-11
• Ben Crane (No. 124): 2 over, T-112
• Steven Bowditch (No. 125): 1 over, T-96
• Peter Hanson (No. 126): 2 under, T-34
• Brad Fritsch (No. 128): 5 over, T-144
• Padraig Harrington (No. 129): 3 over, T-129
• Bud Cauley (No. 130): 2 over, T-112
• Fabian Gomez (No. 131): 1 over, T-96
• Robert Streb (No. 133): 2 under, T-34
• Greg Owen (No. 134): 2 under, T-34
• Shawn Stefani (No. 136): 3 under, T-16