Quick Read: Nelson Mandela Championship
Here are some top facts and figures from this week's Nelson Mandela Championship in Durban, South Africa, co-sponsored by the European and Sunshine tours.
• Time and place: Wednesday-Saturday, Mount Edgecombe CC.
• Top-ranked players, OWGR: [37, Edouardo Molinari; 49, Branden Grace]. Sagarin: [102, Molinari; 164, Grace].
• At stake: $217,975 first prize in $1.38 million purse.
• Short shots: Event was moved a day to complete four rounds before Sunday's state funeral for former South African president and equal-rights activist Nelson Mandela (to read reactions from the world of golf to Mandela's death, click here). . . . Last year's tournament was cut to 36 holes by rain; Scott Jamieson of Scotland won a three-man playoff over Steve Webster of England and Eduardo de la Riva; neither runner-up will play this year. . . . Stuart Manley, who lost to Miguel Angel Jimenez at last week's Nedbank Golf Challenge in a playoff that included Prom Meesawat, also will play this week. . . . The tournament benefits the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund. . . . Both tours go on hiatus after the Mandela Championship for three weeks, returning Jan. 9 for the Volvo Golf Champions at Durban CC.
– Associated Press contributed