Quick Read: PNC Father/Son Challenge
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Here are some top facts and figures from this week's PNC Father/Son Challenge in Orlando, featuring several top PGA Tour and Champions Tour players.
• Time and place: Saturday and Sunday, Grande Lakes Orlando (Fla.), Ritz-Carlton Golf Club
• Top-ranked players, OWGR: [134, Vijay Singh; 164, Stewart Cink]. Sagarin: [106, Cink; 122, Singh].
• At stake: $200,000 first prize in $1 million purse.
• Short shots: This tournament is less about current ranking than career achievement (497 total wins) and family; top names range from Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino to Nick Faldo and Curtis Strange. . . . Nicklaus, teaming with namesake Jack Nicklaus II, says his bag has changed with his game; gone are the days of a 1-iron. "Now I've got a driver, a 3-wood, a 4-wood and a 5-wood. I'm not a big hybrid guy, although I'm playing with one right now and I took out the 2-iron. That's pretty much where I am." . . . Davis Love III and son Dru (Davis IV) will try to defend their title, which they won by a stroke last year over Larry and Josh Nelson; perhaps seeking some first-name karma, the elder Nelson will pair with Drew this year. . . . Nick Price makes his first appearance this year, bringing his son Greg – who took the game up this year. . . . Two daughters are in the field: Bernhard Langer brought Christina Langer and Fuzzy Zoeller brought Gretchen Chappo.
– Associated Press contributed