Pinckney leads with 1 round left at Q-School
Monday, December 16, 2013
Just one round remains at Web.com Tour Q-School, and it's Scott Pinckney who will take the lead into Tuesday's final round at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif.
The former Arizona State player made five birdies, including four on his front nine, on the Stadium Course en route to a fifth-round 4-under 68. Pinckney is 25 under overall, two shots ahead of second-place Zack Fischer, who carded a 64 on Monday.
Jimmy Gunn is third at 22 under while Tony Finau, who shot a fifth-round 67, is fourth at 21 under.
The winner of Q-School is exempt for the 2014 Web.com Tour season and from periodic reorder. The top 10 and ties are exempt up until the third reordering period while the top 45 and ties are exempt until the second reordering period. The rest earn conditional status.
Here are some other notable items from Monday:
• Former Cal standout Max Homa remained inside the top 10 after a fifth-round 71. Homa is tied for ninth with former Texas A&M player Bronson Burgoon at 17 under.
• Homa's former college teammate, Michael Kim, dropped out of the top 10 on Monday. Kim, currently a junior at Cal and competing as an amateur this week, carded a 2-over 74 to fall back into a share of 17th place at 13 under. Kim is tied with three others, including cross-handed golfer Josh Broadaway.
• Former N.C. State player Albin Choi notched his second straight 69 to move into a tie for 12th place at 15 under. He shares that spot with Daniel Berger, who played his college golf at Florida State.
• Former Alabama star Justin Thomas, who turned pro after helping the U.S. capture the 2013 Walker Cup, made a big climb up the leaderboard. Thomas shot 6-under 66 on Monday to move to 7 under, which is good for a share of 62nd place.
• The round of the day belonged to Zack Sucher, who shot 9-under 63 to move into a tie for 42nd at 9 under.