Men's Midweek Report: Cal rebounds at John Burns
Monday, April 1, 2013
Welcome to Golfweek’s Midweek Report. We wanted to use this Hump Day to update you on all the latest college news and give you a quick glance at what to look ahead to this weekend.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Cal: Any concerns about the No. 1 Bears were answered by their 27-shot victory at the John Burns Intercollegiate. Even better for them is that it came over New Mexico, the team that ended their five-tournament winning streak. Cal has won six of seven starts this season.
2. Texas: It was a big week for the nation’s top two teams. No. 2 Texas won the Bayou City Collegiate by 21 shots. A couple good signs for the Longhorns: Brandon Stone’s win was his first top-10 since his Carpet Capital victory to open the season, and Julio Vegas finished second after failing to make the starting lineup in the team’s last start, the Amer Ari Invitational. This was the Longhorns’ second victory this season. The other came at the season-opening Carpet Capital, where Stone also was medalist.
3. TCU: Yet another dominant victory came from No. 13 TCU. The Frogs’ 25-shot victory at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate was the continuation to a good start to the spring. TCU has finished in the top-3 in three of four starts this spring.
4. North Florida: This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but the addition of Jones Cup champion Sean Dale to the lineup has been a big help for the 30th-ranked Ospreys, who have finished second and first in their first two starts this spring. North Florida won its own John Hayt Intercollegiate by 12 shots over Duke. Dale finished second, four shots behind teammate Kevin Phelan.
5. USC: The eighth-ranked Trojans have won two consecutive starts now after tying for first at The Prestige and winning their own North Ranch Intercollegiate. The Trojans have finished no worse than fourth in an event this year.
• • •
1. Joel Stalter, Cal: What a start to the spring. Stalter has won both his starts in 2013, tying for first at the Arizona Intercollegiate before winning the Burns Intercollegiate by eight shots over teammate Max Homa. Stalter wasn’t in the lineup at the start of the season. Now he’s a player of the year candidate. He entered the Burns at No. 11 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings.
2. Brandon Stone, Texas: The freshman, No. 3 in Golfweek’s rankings, picked up his second victory of the season at the Bayou City Collegiate. His other win came at the season-opening Carpet Capital Collegiate. He followed that victory by finishing 16th and 21st in his next two starts. He’s finished in the top 5 in both spring starts.
3. Julien Brun, TCU: Brun, a first-team All-American last year, picked up his second victory of the year at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, which he won by five. The eighth-ranked Brun has won five times at TCU, already setting the school record before his second season is complete.
4. Jace Long, Missouri: The senior made one eagle, one birdie and no bogeys over his final eight holes to tie for first at the WSU Snowman Getaway. The victory was Long’s fourth of the season, and first since winning his first three starts of the season. He’s No. 14 in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings.
5. Yi Keun Chang, USC: It’s been quite a freshman year for Chang, who won the USC Intercollegiate. He’s finished no worse than 26th this season, and has four top-10s in six starts. He’s 50th in the Golfweek rankings.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings fared:
1. California: Won, John Burns Intercollegiate
2. Texas: Won, Bayou City Collegiate
3. Washington: DNP
4. New Mexico: DNP
5. Alabama: DNP
How the top 5 players in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings fared:
1. Michael Kim, Cal: T-9, John Burns Intercollegiate
2. Cheng-Tsung Pan, Washington: DNP
3. Brandon Stone, Texas: Won, Bayou City Collegiate
4. Trevor Simsby, Washington: DNP
5. Daniel Berger, Florida State: DNP
• John Hayt (North Florida; Kevin Phelan, North Florida)
• North Ranch Intercollegiate (USC; Yi Keun Chang, USC)
• Bayou City Collegiate (Texas; Brandon Stone, Texas)
• John Burns Intercollegiate (Cal; Joel Stalter, Cal)
• • •
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Sunday-Tuesday, Lake Jovita, Dade City, Fla.
The field: Cincinnati, DePaul, Eastern Michigan, Florida State, Kennesaw State, Kentucky, Louisville, Marquette, Mercer, Middle Tennessee State, North Carolina State, Rice, South Carolina, South Florida, Troy, Virginia, Wisconsin
The skinny: North Carolina State’s Albin Choi will be going for his fourth victory of the year. Florida State’s Daniel Berger, No. 5 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings, is the highest-ranked player in the field.
• • •
Fresno State Lexus Classic
The field: Arizona, BYU, Cal Poly, Cal, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Kansas State, Nevada, Northwestern, Oregon, Oregon State, Pacific, Sacramento State, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, Utah
The skinny: No. 1 Cal highlights the field. The Bears are making the trip to honor Fresno State head coach Mike Watney, who’s retiring at season’s end.