LPGA watch: Creamer, Walshe early story in Toledo
Friday, July 19, 2013
This week’s Marathon Classic on the LPGA tour is the last event before LPGA players head to Scotland for their own Women’s British Open, to be played Aug. 1-4. In case you weren’t paying attention to yesterday’s first round at Highlands Meadows Golf Club in Sylvania, Ohio, a few quick notes:
• Alison Walshe was the first-round leader with a career-low 6-under 65. Walshe’s previous low was 66. She is No. 90 in the Rolex Rankings.
• Paula Creamer previously has played this LPGA event at Highland Meadows seven times. She has finished inside the top 5 in three of those seven starts, and that includes victory in 2008. Creamer shot 66 on Thursday.
• Lexi Thompson’s first-round 66 is only her third opening round in the 60s so far this season.
• The Toledo area is going to be hot this week. Temperatures reached 93 degrees for the first round with a heat index of 103.
• Inbee Park watch: She shot 4-under 67 in Round 1 for a share of fifth.
• Natalie Gulbis watch: She shot 3-under 68 for a share of 10th. Why is that important? This makes the fourth consecutive tournament in which Gulbis has posted a first-round score under par.
• Leaderboard watch: Early in the second round, Creamer has a two-shot lead on Walshe. Creamer made the turn in 3 under and Walshe has yet to tee off.